Onstar - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
It's done with accelerometers, and the truck has them.. It's also the same sensor that make the downhill assist and uphill braking work... There is also steering angle sensors... There trucks are smart

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Ok, if my truck is sending all that info to GM and they are storing it on a server, that is kind of scary.

And no, I'm not paranoid, who said I was???? HUh??? Who??? Did someone say I am???

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Ok, if my truck is sending all that info to GM and they are storing it on a server, that is kind of scary.

And no, I'm not paranoid, who said I was???? HUh??? Who??? Did someone say I am???
I'm not too concerned with that particular data... It's more about the ecm data transmissions that worry me... I have rec'd in a the mail a "invite" to participate in a paid survey. GM hired a 3rd party to do emissions testing on certain vehicles and were willing to pay me a hundo just to participate. This came after some work I did on the truck. Another guy did the same work and got the same notice. Not many other report this... I find it strange, but in the end I could care slightly less. I did not partake in the testing, nor will I. It's not mandated in my state. Maybe a coincidence... Maybe not... I just don't need them checking my shit, not because I'm paranoid, but because I'm a technician who does his own work. I don't need them to tell me my oil needs to be changed, tires rotated, dtcs are present, etc

Ben F, lqdchkn and 404 Not Found like this.
post #43 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
For the hat: Is Reynolds Wrap ok? that's all I have. If not can I get the correct brand at Vons or maybe Costco? Does it take several layers to block all thoughts or are some thoughts "stronger" than others? Oh, and what do the side antennas do? Thanks and please reply ASAP, I'm pretty sure they are following me right now. Do "they" drive F150s and Tacomas? I think they do. OH CRAP this is NOT good!
Don't forget to connect your tin foil shorts with 16 guage braided wire, one lead front, the other to the rear.. This prevents isocyronus distortion..
post #44 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:17 PM

Garage
Woah, all my posts are gone. And the thread has a new name.

Well, to be back on target, I looked up big brother's score program. And some insurance companies offer discounts for those that subscribed and drive nicely. But to my understanding, this benefit wasn't offered with every insurance company in every state.
hacklerjason likes this.
post #45 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stw146 View Post
Don't forget to connect your tin foil shorts with 16 guage braided wire, one lead front, the other to the rear.. This prevents isocyronus distortion..
I forgot that piece...it helps give a little boost if you run it through a coil first.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #46 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jso902 View Post
Woah, all my posts are gone. And the thread has a new name.

Well, to be back on target, I looked up big brother's score program. And some insurance companies offer discounts for those that subscribed and drive nicely. But to my understanding, this benefit wasn't offered with every insurance company in every state.
For instance... State Farm...my insurance company in Missouri. Only offers a discount if you drive less than 9,000 miles per year. I bought the truck in April and have 20k already....wont do me much good.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #47 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbpoe View Post
I forgot that piece...it helps give a little boost if you run it through a coil first.
WAIT a minute!!! What kind of coil?!?!

post #48 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not too concerned with that particular data... It's more about the ecm data transmissions that worry me... I have rec'd in a the mail a "invite" to participate in a paid survey. GM hired a 3rd party to do emissions testing on certain vehicles and were willing to pay me a hundo just to participate. This came after some work I did on the truck. Another guy did the same work and got the same notice. Not many other report this... I find it strange, but in the end I could care slightly less. I did not partake in the testing, nor will I. It's not mandated in my state. Maybe a coincidence... Maybe not... I just don't need them checking my shit, not because I'm paranoid, but because I'm a technician who does his own work. I don't need them to tell me my oil needs to be changed, tires rotated, dtcs are present, etc

Ok, this is strange. What did you do to the truck? Are you saying you think it is likely GM saw what you did, or the affect of what you did by looking at your ECM, and then wanted you to get a test done? I'm not sure I follow.
hacklerjason likes this.

post #49 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, this is strange. What did you do to the truck? Are you saying you think it is likely GM saw what you did, or the affect of what you did by looking at your ECM, and then wanted you to get a test done? I'm not sure I follow.
Thats exactly what I said happened... I'm certain they rec'd notice that I was having problems with my on board emission system. I got emails saying remote diagnostics sent from my vehicle indicates that my emissions system needs serviced. I opted out of that.. not sure what happens once the emails stop. Do they still get reports from my vehicle, or are they on a per need basis? I only had problems in the beginning, I cleaned up the tune and all is well now

post #50 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thats exactly what I said happened... I'm certain they rec'd notice that I was having problems with my on board emission system. I got emails saying remote diagnostics sent from my vehicle indicates that my emissions system needs serviced. I opted out of that.. not sure what happens once the emails stop. Do they still get reports from my vehicle, or are they on a per need basis? I only had problems in the beginning, I cleaned up the tune and all is well now

So the CEL was on right?

post #51 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
So the CEL was on right?
No, not exactly... It was a bad setting in my tune... I had a fault set to no cel with ses left on. That setup allows codes to be active and stored in the ecm without throwing a lamp. The downside was that you would have to press ✅ every time you key on to acknowledge the warning. I ended up solving my problem but the history is there with OnStar, as we can see when we poke around. And there is likely much more data being held onto by the mother ship. Again I'm not worried about my driving patterns, I leave that for the guy behind me.

post #52 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No, not exactly... It was a bad setting in my tune... I had a fault set to no cel with ses left on. That setup allows codes to be active and stored in the ecm without throwing a lamp. The downside was that you would have to press ✅ every time you key on to acknowledge the warning. I ended up solving my problem but the history is there with OnStar, as we can see when we poke around. And there is likely much more data being held onto by the mother ship. Again I'm not worried about my driving patterns, I leave that for the guy behind me.

Yeah ok gotcha, they basicly just saw the "fault", light or not. It's not the end of the world but I don't like it at all. I'll bet here in communist California they will use that data some day to make you fix the problem or yank your registration.

post #53 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

So, what useful features do you loose if you disable Onstar? Besides the obvious that you can't call them.

and someone mentioned something about how to do it. I will seriously consider doing it.

So, how do you disable it? Just disconnect an antenna or????

Then when you do, does GM get there panties in a bunch and want you do bring it in to fix it?

post #54 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 AM

Having deja vu ... I've had too much internet today! @lqdchkn help me out

post #55 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So, what useful features do you loose if you disable Onstar? Besides the obvious that you can't call them.

and someone mentioned something about how to do it. I will seriously consider doing it.

So, how do you disable it? Just disconnect an antenna or????

Then when you do, does GM get there panties in a bunch and want you do bring it in to fix it?
Yes the working theory is that we will disconnect the antenna input to the telematics unit (onstar box). The only thing we aren't really sure about is if there will be any alerts that need constant acknowledgement or CELs.
post #56 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM

Garage
A few years back (2007) I had a GMC Sierra with Onstar. Back then they didn't have handsfree calling through the entertainment system, only through Onstar's assigned number. There was a company (don't recall the name) that sold a direct plug-n-play replacement for the Onstar module that provided handsfree calling via bluetooth that integrated with the trucks steering wheel controls and used the Onstar mic for making calls. The point is, I replaced the entire Onstar module with a third party module that had noting to do with Onsar, and never received a CEL or notification of any kind. Now, I know things have changed a lot since 2007, but if there is no Onstar module, then there's nothing to provide reports of any kind!

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #57 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
A few years back (2007) I had a GMC Sierra with Onstar. Back then they didn't have handsfree calling through the entertainment system, only through Onstar's assigned number. There was a company (don't recall the name) that sold a direct plug-n-play replacement for the Onstar module that provided handsfree calling via bluetooth that integrated with the trucks steering wheel controls and used the Onstar mic for making calls. The point is, I replaced the entire Onstar module with a third party module that had noting to do with Onsar, and never received a CEL or notification of any kind. Now, I know things have changed a lot since 2007, but if there is no Onstar module, then there's nothing to provide reports of any kind!
There is an OnStar module, it's called the telematics gateway

post #58 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Yes the working theory is that we will disconnect the antenna input to the telematics unit (onstar box). The only thing we aren't really sure about is if there will be any alerts that need constant acknowledgement or CELs.
Do you know if its the same antenna as the gps for navigation? I hope not, I need to investigate I guess. Maybe I should just try it and see what happens. That is the fun way ;)

post #59 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Do you know if its the same antenna as the gps for navigation? I hope not, I need to investigate I guess. Maybe I should just try it and see what happens. That is the fun way ;)
No it is not

post #60 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:01 PM

Just disabled mine, thanks for the headsup.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode