• 1 Post By KMW
  • 1 Post By Red Rock
  • 1 Post By KMW
  • 1 Post By BumbleZ
  • 1 Post By BumbleZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

The Official Fitness Thread!!

I didn't see any threads for fitness.... (please pardon if there is one already), so I thought to start one. It's January and you know ...everyone is thinking about it and hopefully 'doing it'. A place to talk about ...whatever it is that you do for fitness. Call it motivation....get new ideas....whatever helps you DO IT.

For me...I'm not into losing weight (but if it happens, I won't complain). I've been the same weight since college. I just don't want to gain anything. My cholesterol level is good...but only when I exercise regularly.

If you're interested in running - Try the *Couch to 5K" program - you can get an app that'll help you work up to running a 5k.. It's a great app that got me started into running 2 years ago. Ran in about 3 - 5K runs. Unfortunately - I don't run like I used to because of knee & hip pains.

Our basement has turned into the workout room - although, we're not using it much. We have a Bowflex (bought used 1 year ago), a recumbent bike (trying to get rid of it - 14 years old), a newly purchased stationary bike (basic), and a really nice treadmill. I use the treadmill mostly and wanted to find something to help me get started in spinning. I do my exercising while watching Netflix/Amazon series on TV. At least that keeps me on the equipment for an hour!

Anyone know of any good APP's for spinning? Any apps for a good rounded 1 hour workout with the equipment I have?

What's everyone else into? What keeps you motivated?? I can't wait for the nice sunny warm weather to get here.....makes it easier and more fun to run/walk outside!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:15 PM

I'm more of a weight lifter and actually have a decent gym at work. We get paid to work on duty for up to 5 hours a week, so I definitely take advantage of that. For cardio I'm in a basketball league and I hit the heavy bag after lifting.

The jefit app is pretty awesome to keep track of your workouts, finding workouts tailored to your goals, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:52 PM

I went to the gym pretty steady for 10 years, but after my little guy arrived in me and my wife's life 3 years ago it was hard to get to the gym. So I bought a some used equipment and worked out 4 plus days a week. About a year ago I wanted to lose a little bit of weight so I bought a spin Bike.. I use the app "exercise bike workout".. Simple name.. There's various modes of workouts to follow on it. It's good to motivate and track results. I also just bought a bowflex xse2.. I've shed 20lbs and put on some more muscle as well in 2016. The my fitnesspal app is also a great app to use to track your meal nutrition intake

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:49 PM

Garage
I'm a gym rat and I hate this time of year. All the "New Years Resolution" crowd in the gym this time of year. They leave the weights and other equipment laying all over the place, and sit on the equipment playing with their phones...

I find the fitbit app is very useful while working out. I used to time my rest between sets but now I watch my heart rate. Once it drops below 100 its time for another set...
Beerdrnkr likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

Last edited by BumbleZ; 01-22-2017 at 10:00 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 PM
KMW

I started Crossfit last spring, and have had better results than anything I've done before. I find it very applicable to my work and lifestyle. I like the constant variety and change of movements, and the intensity.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Janster likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.irwin.583 View Post
I went to the gym pretty steady for 10 years, but after my little guy arrived in me and my wife's life 3 years ago it was hard to get to the gym. So I bought a some used equipment and worked out 4 plus days a week. About a year ago I wanted to lose a little bit of weight so I bought a spin Bike.. I use the app "exercise bike workout".. Simple name.. There's various modes of workouts to follow on it. It's good to motivate and track results. I also just bought a bowflex xse2.. I've shed 20lbs and put on some more muscle as well in 2016. The my fitnesspal app is also a great app to use to track your meal nutrition intake

Same here....went to the gym for many years. I got tired of the 'creepy people' and the need to wipe off the equipment BEFORE and AFTER using it. The grunts & groans and the *Look at me, I'm Special* attitudes were rediculous!

The Spin app you reference - is that an Android thing? I tried looking for it on my ipad/iPhone and couldn't find it.

I also use MapMyRun which is the same App (company) as MyFitnessPal. There's a bunch of them that are all integrated (per say). I use that App all the time to document my workouts. It's not just for 'running'.

Congrats on the weight loss!!! That's gotta be a motivator in itself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
I'm a gym rat and I hate this time of year. All the "New Years Resolution" crowd in the gym this time of year. They leave the weights and other equipment laying all over the place, and sit on the equipment playing with their phones...

I find the fitbit app is very useful while working out. I used to time my rest between sets but now I watch my heart rate. Once it drops below 100 its time for another set...
Nice!! I've had a basic Jawbone tracker (and app) for a couple years - for step tracking. It also reminds me to 'drink water' during my workday (which I have a hard time doing). With the winter here, it's a nice motivator in general to get off my ass . LOL I'm sure at some point, I'll want to upgrade it to more features.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
I started Crossfit last spring, and have had better results than anything I've done before. I find it very applicable to my work and lifestyle. I like the constant variety and change of movements, and the intensity.

All I can say is...Crossfit is HARD!! I did look it up and do some reading on it....But damn, those daily workouts are unbelievable!! Maybe, If I were 30 years younger....LOL

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
At my age, I'm pretty much reduced to 12 oz. curls!
Janster likes this.

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 PM
KMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
All I can say is...Crossfit is HARD!! I did look it up and do some reading on it....But damn, those daily workouts are unbelievable!! Maybe, If I were 30 years younger....LOL
Well, yes and no. If you're at a good gym, they are really good about scaling and modifying things to fit your ability and fitness level. And while things are done for time or for max reps in a set time, ultimately you decide how hard you push yourself. Nobody is going to be screaming at you to go faster or to lift more weight. You can push yourself until you puke, or you can just get a good sweat going. It's entirely up to you.

In my gym right now we have a lady who's been coming now for several months who's probably 40, and is probably close to 300 lbs. They scale things for her, and she's right there with everybody else. It's a great atmosphere. And they are really big on making sure you learn the fundamentals of movements so you don't get hurt.

Crossfit gets a bad rap that people are always getting hurt. Well, people get hurt doing anything. If you are smart and take the time to learn the skills, you'll be fine. Some people just want to lift more weight no matter what.

And as with anything else, there are good gyms and bad gyms. They almost all welcome drop-ins to try a session and check it out. Give it a try!

Janster likes this.

Last edited by KMW; 01-22-2017 at 02:28 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:12 PM

Garage
If you do Crossfit, just be careful not to do too much beyond your ability. If you work yourself to utter exhaustion to often, there is a condition you can get that causes your liver to secrete an enzyme that destroys your muscles. Crossfit box owners like to claim this is rare and now days, that they are more sensitive to it, it is likely rare. But, it was a thing for a while in the beginning. My Cousin's son ended up near death in the hospital because of it.
KMW likes this.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:37 PM
KMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
If you do Crossfit, just be careful not to do too much beyond your ability. If you work yourself to utter exhaustion to often, there is a condition you can get that causes your liver to secrete an enzyme that destroys your muscles. Crossfit box owners like to claim this is rare and now days, that they are more sensitive to it, it is likely rare. But, it was a thing for a while in the beginning. My Cousin's son ended up near death in the hospital because of it.
Yes, this is rhabdomyolysis. And it did happen more with Crossfit than other sports due to the intensity. But you usually see it with either really elite athletes that have reached a point where they're pushing themselves way beyond they're boundaries trying to reach a competitive goal, or with new people who are not at all elite athletes and try to do way too much before they are able. As with any type of fitness, you have to be smart and listen to your body and work with it. You can't just go in and blindly do what's on the board no matter what just because it's there. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean I can do it for as long, as fast, as often, or as heavy as you can. We're all different.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/r...ses-treatments

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:32 PM

Garage
Yea, that. My cousin's son was doing this with a bunch of guys from his High School football team and they obviously weren't mature enough to recognize limits. Testosterone is a poison.....

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:49 PM

[quoteWhat's everyone else into? What keeps you motivated?? ][/quote]

I hunt small game. Not a sedentary sport in the least. On weekends I cover a minimum of 10 miles over rough terrain.
Weekdays I do 1.9 miles every night on a track with the dogs.
For 40 years I have been at the dojo a minimum of three days a week.
Whenever there is no ice I bike every night with the dogs. Minumum of 10 miles. Takes a hour.......
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:44 PM

@Janster

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
@Janster

HIIT will absolutely burn calories....
david.irwin.583 likes this.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
@Janster

Thanks for the post!! ....It's only for Android/Google Play. I actually tried to google the 'designer' in case they made an Apple version. LOL.

....for now, I'm watching beginner spin videos on YouTube! LOL From setting up the bike, how to sit, stand, etc. It was more comfortable this time around.

But Wow....It's hard not to try and push it a bit. Tried a 30 minute spin class tonight and I was spent after 20 minutes!! LOL (but I kept on going). LOL

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 PM

I'm getting married in 5 months so that's kept me PRETTTTTTY damn motivated! Haha. I'm on week 3 of a 6-week lifting and conditioning program. It feels great, I'm starting to feel strong again. Also starting to see changes in myself which also helps fuel the flame. I have a fully-equipped home gym in my basement. Barbells, dumbbells, a full set of rubber plates, ab bench, flat bench, rack, pull-up bar, treadmill, a couple other odds and ends. I love it. It's my zen zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode