New Society (generation) vs Old Society (generation) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

New Society (generation) vs Old Society (generation)

There's a lot going on in the world today ..... and I'm seriously baffled by our younger generation. I'm old...and probably like every generation before me - they didn't understand my generation either.

What's with.....Selfies....selfies...selfies?? I think, if my mom saw me taking pictures of myself all the time and posting them publicly, she'd whip me in the ass with the selfie stick and tell me to do my homework and finish my chores.

Facebook? Yeah... I have a lot of friends who are coworkers, family, friends. I never accept friends i don't know. I read more than I post. I enjoy keeping in contact with family. Do people really enjoy seeing what other people are having for dinner? Or that their dog took a nap with the cat? OK...a few 'proud parent' moments are OK...but all the time? And I have my own family members who post inspirational Memes constantly....... Is it just me, or doesn't this get OLD?

Whatever happened to opening doors for people? Looking people in the eye and saying HELLO or THANK YOU. ??

It feels like people are so involved with 'themselves' these days. There are people I work with who have such arrogance about them.... when you try to teach them something new, they don't wanna hear it or don't believe you.

Did they really stop teaching cursive writing in schools? How do you sign a check?

Is it true that "Everyone gets a trophy" in the schools?

I have a niece who's 18 years old and her handwriting literally looks like a 3 year olds wrote it. How does that happen??

Is there such a thing as Driver Education anymore? Or does that vary by state? I don't even know if my own state has it.....LOL

Bicycle Safety? About the only safety they push anymore is wearing a helmet. Doesn't anyone teach them the 'rules of the road'? I see kids riding all over the place.

I'd like to think I want to understand the current culture ....and/or the mindset of the younger generation. Old and out of touch.... just curious to hear the responses since we do have a wide range of ages on this forum. Something different to chat about I guess.

I know the younger folks probably think the older folks are 'out of our minds' and out of touch......Of course we are. When you reach our age, you'll be experiencing the same things we are!!

I'm having another beer....CHEERS!!
Toughsox, JBT, CaryBosse and 8 others like this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:05 PM
mmg

Garage
Feel the same here as well.....I am a baby boomer.....
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:05 PM

I have 6 kids Janster .....your preaching to the choir.

Now, pass me one of those beers.
RatRacer, PAR and Janster like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:25 PM

Hey .... I just smiled as it was good to hear my rant echo.... I taught middle school for 30 years luckily before the texting and selfie period. Kids will be kids..... that's just who they are ...I used to laugh and yell (with a smile)"would you please stop acting your age"!
It's the adults that I have less ....okay zero...tolerance.... selfies .... you are right ...it must be one of the 7 deadly sins! lol. Here's me in the grand canyon! Here's me in the Rockies ....how about just the Rockies?! ME ME ME.

I love to see peoples faces when I hold the door for them or take their cart back to the store from the parking lot. Small things are what it all adds up to. It makes you feel good too.

There ....thanks for the vent....luckily I live in the boonies and most folks are kind and helpful.
CaryBosse likes this.

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:27 PM

Garage
I'm almost 50...And some of the new stuff gets on my nerves...But overall I think things are much better than when I was a kid. My kids are not obsessed with themselves...They are pretty grounded. I am not on that old school is better band wagon...Most old school I consider pretty back azzwords😋

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:29 PM

I think the whole thing of instant communication and things like Twitter and FB have caused more and more of the population to become detached rather than attached. And they think they are paying attention and they are not. I could tell a whole 'nother story about that while returning something at a Target store.

All the "instant" tweets and FB messages have seemed to instill less personal patience in many people. They want and expect things right now. My wife works in a school office. She or another staff person may be on the phone with a parent, other student, or teacher and trying to taking care of something for THAT person. But many times when a student waltzes in the office, they just start talking to my wife while she is on the phone oblivious of the fact that she is already talking to someone. They act like she should hang up. Many times then, they will just walk out or demand to see someone else.
This shows up on the road also. Everything from tailgating to passing on the right and then swerving to the far left lane all in one single swoop. So impatient they act like they want to drive right over the top of other vehicles. But wait. . if they are on the cell or worse, texting, then they will sit at a traffic light for 5 seconds AFTER it turns green and then just dawdle off at 15 MPH because they are "being careful" while they talk or text. There was even one member here who had his phone mounted on the top center of the steering column. Hasn't been here since last April and got 3 speeding tickets (87MPH in a 70) in about 4 months, so I have to wonder and hope for the best.
The point is . . impatience when it's them being "slowed down" or hindered in their point of view. . . but slow and dawdling when they have "urgent" texting or social updating to do while driving.

Well, I know it is not everyone. . . but every time I see a driver do such things I do take note of the approximate age. . ..

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 01-27-2017 at 07:35 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckland View Post

I love to see peoples faces when I hold the door for them or take their cart back to the store from the parking lot. Small things are what it all adds up to. It makes you feel good too.
So, so true!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Garage
Same here, a boomer, and agreed.
I maintain Facebook, Instagram, Pintrest, and Twitter accounts, but only use them for family communiques, and keeping up with my other hobbies/interests.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
There's a lot going on in the world today ..... and I'm seriously baffled by our younger generation. I'm old...and probably like every generation before me - they didn't understand my generation either.

What's with.....Selfies....selfies...selfies?? I think, if my mom saw me taking pictures of myself all the time and posting them publicly, she'd whip me in the ass with the selfie stick and tell me to do my homework and finish my chores. I don't understand this either.

Facebook? Yeah... I have a lot of friends who are coworkers, family, friends. I never accept friends i don't know. I read more than I post. I enjoy keeping in contact with family. Do people really enjoy seeing what other people are having for dinner? Or that their dog took a nap with the cat? OK...a few 'proud parent' moments are OK...but all the time? And I have my own family members who post inspirational Memes constantly....... Is it just me, or doesn't this get OLD? Yeah people seem to want to post up everything they do all day like anyone really cares.

Whatever happened to opening doors for people? Looking people in the eye and saying HELLO or THANK YOU. ?? I was raised to open doors for women and anyone older than myself.

It feels like people are so involved with 'themselves' these days. There are people I work with who have such arrogance about them.... when you try to teach them something new, they don't wanna hear it or don't believe you. I am probably guilty to some extent on this one.

Did they really stop teaching cursive writing in schools? Yes How do you sign a check? I was taught to sign my name by my mom and dad when I entered 6th grade.

Is it true that "Everyone gets a trophy" in the schools? Yes, "everyone is a winner" it is crap if you ask me...how can their be a winner if no one looses? This sets up young people to have issues when they get into the real world, having never been told "you lost, try harder next time".

I have a niece who's 18 years old and her handwriting literally looks like a 3 year olds wrote it. How does that happen?? having never been forced to learn cursive in school my handwriting is pretty horrible as well.

Is there such a thing as Driver Education anymore? Not in my school district, you have to pay a private company and spend X hours driving their car around, even though I was driving dads truck on our property and in the dessert since I was 10. Or does that vary by state? I don't even know if my own state has it.....LOL

Bicycle Safety? About the only safety they push anymore is wearing a helmet. Doesn't anyone teach them the 'rules of the road'? I see kids riding all over the place. I have been riding dirtbikes since I was 5 and dad taught me to pay attention to other and be a courteous rider/driver.

I'd like to think I want to understand the current culture ....and/or the mindset of the younger generation. Old and out of touch.... just curious to hear the responses since we do have a wide range of ages on this forum. Something different to chat about I guess.

I know the younger folks probably think the older folks are 'out of our minds' and out of touch......Of course we are. When you reach our age, you'll be experiencing the same things we are!! I was raised to respect my elders, even if I were to think an older person was "out of touch or out to lunch" I wouldn't let them know I thought so...at least in person.

In 3 years I will join you.

I answered in bold...keep in mind that I am an 18 year old senior in high school and that for the most part I think my generation is full of freeloading, handout expecting, everyone is a winner dbags.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

What's with.....Selfies....selfies...selfies?? I think, if my mom saw me taking pictures of myself all the time and posting them publicly, she'd whip me in the ass with the selfie stick and tell me to do my homework and finish my chores.

Facebook? Yeah... I have a lot of friends who are coworkers, family, friends. I never accept friends i don't know. I read more than I post. I enjoy keeping in contact with family. Do people really enjoy seeing what other people are having for dinner? Or that their dog took a nap with the cat? OK...a few 'proud parent' moments are OK...but all the time? And I have my own family members who post inspirational Memes constantly....... Is it just me, or doesn't this get OLD?

Whatever happened to opening doors for people? Looking people in the eye and saying HELLO or THANK YOU. ??

It feels like people are so involved with 'themselves' these days. There are people I work with who have such arrogance about them.... when you try to teach them something new, they don't wanna hear it or don't believe you.

Did they really stop teaching cursive writing in schools? How do you sign a check?

Is it true that "Everyone gets a trophy" in the schools?

I have a niece who's 18 years old and her handwriting literally looks like a 3 year olds wrote it. How does that happen??

Is there such a thing as Driver Education anymore? Or does that vary by state? I don't even know if my own state has it.....LOL

Bicycle Safety? About the only safety they push anymore is wearing a helmet. Doesn't anyone teach them the 'rules of the road'? I see kids riding all over the place.

I know the younger folks probably think the older folks are 'out of our minds' and out of touch......Of course we are. When you reach our age, you'll be experiencing the same things we are!!

1. Selfies, I myself don't get them too much. Granted my GF and I snapchat together, lets us see each other more as I am traveling alot for work and she is finishing up college. It is funny though seeing other people do it but don't take it too seriously. I look at it as a form of casual communication.

2. Facebook, I started with myspace in middle/highschool, late high school is when facebook started to take over. It was a way to connect with people, lately though I have grown tired of it. Its turned into political talk, people fighting with one another. If it wasn't for staying in touch with the RC vehicle community I would probably delete it.

3. Generally I know I hold doors often for people but I notice people of all ages not caring anymore (on a positive note I have seen alot of children holding doors open alot!).

4. Cursive, I was taught a bit in elementary. The only memorable time I use cursive was to write a non-cheating statement on the damn SAT tests. For me the only time I used cursive is to sign either documents, checks, or for credit card purchases. Other than signing your name I honestly don't see the point in it.

5. In elementary school/middle school I'd say there is the whole participation trophy, high school I don't remember it. Quite frankly it is stupid, some people win, some people lose.

6. In terms of handwriting, yes mine is also rubbish. I personally look back and see me being forced to write quickly on tests and standardized tests so I could finish in time. It was more important to put something down than make it look nice. After a while it was a habit. On a side note the US is so focused on testing students instead of actually teaching anymore (I have my teaching degree, the whole testing thing is one of many reasons I got out of it, let the damn kids learn!)

7. At my school district we didn't have drivers ED, they didn't have the money for that. They could barely pay to keep things like band, chorus, or the arts (now even that's gone by the way side, again see my response above).

Now its my turn lol

My biggest issue is the stereotypes I often hear about my generation, the millennials. There seems to be such a negative view on younger people. While yes there are those among us that are whiners, smooches, and sleaze balls. I would like someone to show me a generation that didn't/do have these type of people? But most people that I know that are my age are starting careers, lives, families. While yes there are outliers that make all of us look bad but I do see that most of my generation is working hard to prove older people wrong.

Funny thing is, during one of my units during student teaching I focusing on the 50's-60's. I was doing research when I found out that the older generations of the time were stereotyping the baby boomers the same way some baby boomers stereotype millennials (ie, consumerism/narcissistic/etc.). I would also venture that millennials will do the same when we get older. As they say history repeats itself.

Also, in the spirit of this, doesn't our connectivity through mass media and social media play a role in this pessimistic view of the world and ourselves? Has seeing this negativity daily just make us more aware of it so it looks worse now than it did in the past? Just a thought...

"...And the life of man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short."-Thomas Hobbes.

That's my response at least, do I get my trophy now?
Janster likes this.

2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:10 PM

My 12 year old learned cursive in 3rd grade. My 9 year old didn't learn cursive in 3rd grade at the same school. So I guess it's out. Can't remember the last time I used it.

2016 Colorado Z71 4x4 CCSB Cyber Gray
Bak MX4
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:16 PM

It's a bit geared toward the workplace environment and seems to place a lot of the "blame" if you will on the workplace to adapt, neglecting to discuss the perspective of Millennials needing to take some personal responsibility to adapt themselves; it's basic info is applicable to the entire generation's general demeanor and take on life so it's still a good watch:

GraniteBlue05 likes this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 01-27-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: grammarized
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
1. Selfies, I myself don't get them too much. Granted my GF and I snapchat together, lets us see each other more as I am traveling alot for work and she is finishing up college. It is funny though seeing other people do it but don't take it too seriously. I look at it as a form of casual communication.

2. Facebook, I started with myspace in middle/highschool, late high school is when facebook started to take over. It was a way to connect with people, lately though I have grown tired of it. Its turned into political talk, people fighting with one another. If it wasn't for staying in touch with the RC vehicle community I would probably delete it.

3. Generally I know I hold doors often for people but I notice people of all ages not caring anymore (on a positive note I have seen alot of children holding doors open alot!).

4. Cursive, I was taught a bit in elementary. The only memorable time I use cursive was to write a non-cheating statement on the damn SAT tests. For me the only time I used cursive is to sign either documents, checks, or for credit card purchases. Other than signing your name I honestly don't see the point in it.

5. In elementary school/middle school I'd say there is the whole participation trophy, high school I don't remember it. Quite frankly it is stupid, some people win, some people lose.

6. In terms of handwriting, yes mine is also rubbish. I personally look back and see me being forced to write quickly on tests and standardized tests so I could finish in time. It was more important to put something down than make it look nice. After a while it was a habit. On a side note the US is so focused on testing students instead of actually teaching anymore (I have my teaching degree, the whole testing thing is one of many reasons I got out of it, let the damn kids learn!)

7. At my school district we didn't have drivers ED, they didn't have the money for that. They could barely pay to keep things like band, chorus, or the arts (now even that's gone by the way side, again see my response above).

Now its my turn lol

My biggest issue is the stereotypes I often hear about my generation, the millennials. There seems to be such a negative view on younger people. While yes there are those among us that are whiners, smooches, and sleaze balls. I would like someone to show me a generation that didn't/do have these type of people? But most people that I know that are my age are starting careers, lives, families. While yes there are outliers that make all of us look bad but I do see that most of my generation is working hard to prove older people wrong.

Funny thing is, during one of my units during student teaching I focusing on the 50's-60's. I was doing research when I found out that the older generations of the time were stereotyping the baby boomers the same way some baby boomers stereotype millennials (ie, consumerism/narcissistic/etc.). I would also venture that millennials will do the same when we get older. As they say history repeats itself.

Also, in the spirit of this, doesn't our connectivity through mass media and social media play a role in this pessimistic view of the world and ourselves? Has seeing this negativity daily just make us more aware of it so it looks worse now than it did in the past? Just a thought...

"...And the life of man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short."-Thomas Hobbes.

That's my response at least, do I get my trophy now?
Sounds like we are not to far apart.

I think every generation thinks that the one after is doing everything wrong.

The problem stems from how many of us were raised. My parents raised my brothers and I very much like they were. Like many of the boomers. With the principle of giving us just enough rope to hang ourselves. There was no "trophies for showing up". If we got picked on we fought back. Hell most of my close friendships started after fist fights.

The parents towards the tail end of my generation and the current seem to be the issue. The zero tolerance policies make thing worse, instead of getting bullied and getting into a fight to settle things out these kids bring guns! I see these parents that wont let their kids out to play not 5 year olds but 10-11-12. They learn no life skills of dealing with people its so protected. George Carlin talked about this years ago, it just gets worse and worse. I am in management and these guys and girls show up 20 minutes late with the attitude that at least they showed.

/Rant
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonesGTO View Post
Sounds like we are not to far apart.

I think every generation thinks that the one after is doing everything wrong.

The problem stems from how many of us were raised. My parents raised my brothers and I very much like they were. Like many of the boomers. With the principle of giving us just enough rope to hang ourselves. There was no "trophies for showing up". If we got picked on we fought back. Hell most of my close friendships started after fist fights.

The parents towards the tail end of my generation and the current seem to be the issue. The zero tolerance policies make thing worse, instead of getting bullied and getting into a fight to settle things out these kids bring guns! I see these parents that wont let their kids out to play not 5 year olds but 10-11-12. They learn no life skills of dealing with people its so protected. George Carlin talked about this years ago, it just gets worse and worse. I am in management and these guys and girls show up 20 minutes late with the attitude that at least they showed.

/Rant
When I'm in the office I plan to be there 15 minutes early and If I do run late which is a handful of times over the past 2 years I always let me supervisor know. But to be fair, being late to work and taking two hour lunchs is not limited to my generation. The one guy who is over double my age comes late, leaves early, takes 2 hour lunches.

I have to agree with you on the zero tolerance BS and bullying. I was bullied during most of my student career, granted high school was a lot better. In junior year high school I stood up for myself against some super jock for the first time, standing my ground and some strong words got him and most other people to back off. Wish I had done it sooner! When I was teaching I wish I could have told some students to do the same, stand up for themselves but that would have gotten me in trouble.

2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:47 PM

Garage
Cursive is still taught in schools (my wife is a teacher), but it isn't used nearly as much as it used to be even by older folks. I'm almost 70 and rarely use it, but I certainly use it to write the amount on checks and to sign them and anything else. Most people have a cursive signature even though they don't use cursive much anywhere else. My mother writes in longhand, but she's nearly 100.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Jan,

I debated commenting, and then whether I needed to quote your long comment, but there were too many things in it that I felt strongly about.

Quote:

What's with.....Selfies....selfies...selfies?? I think, if my mom saw me taking pictures of myself all the time and posting them publicly, she'd whip me in the ass with the selfie stick and tell me to do my homework and finish my chores.I grew up in an era where privacy was cherished. Maybe 5 kids in a 900 square foot home, four sisters, and one bathroom, will do that to you. I don't need a picture of my ugly mug to remember myself.

Facebook? Yeah... I have a lot of friends who are coworkers, family, friends. I never accept friends i don't know. I read more than I post. I enjoy keeping in contact with family. Do people really enjoy seeing what other people are having for dinner? Or that their dog took a nap with the cat? OK...a few 'proud parent' moments are OK...but all the time? And I have my own family members who post inspirational Memes constantly....... Is it just me, or doesn't this get OLD? I tried Facebook for a few weeks - needed to share pictures of a grandson who went on vacation with us while his mother stayed home. When people who attacked my physically and verbally in high school started to try to "friend" me, I decided to cancel it. Sadly, a good chunk of the world cannot live without these connections, and they are slowly boxing us in where we can't live without them. Some websites will not let you participate without a Facebook account. So, I find other places to shop, etc.

Whatever happened to opening doors for people? Looking people in the eye and saying HELLO or THANK YOU. ?? You want to really shock people? Hold the door open for someone much younger than you. I love to see the expression on the face of a teenage girl, especially one of a different race.ethnic background, etc., when I hold the door for her and invite her through. Sadly, when I do the same for a teenage guy, most just grunt or not even look up long enough to acknowledge my presence.

When I was young, pre-teen years, my dad who was already balding and gray, answered some twenty year old with a "Yes Sir." I asked him why he did that, and his reply was you treat everyone with respect. PERIOD. Nothing more said.

It feels like people are so involved with 'themselves' these days. There are people I work with who have such arrogance about them.... when you try to teach them something new, they don't wanna hear it or don't believe you. If they can't confirm it on google or wilkopedia, it can't be true.

Did they really stop teaching cursive writing in schools? How do you sign a check? I can't comment on this, I have been accused of being a doctor more than once with my handwriting.

Is it true that "Everyone gets a trophy" in the schools? It sure seems like that is the case. You had to earn everything you received when I was young.

Bicycle Safety? About the only safety they push anymore is wearing a helmet. Doesn't anyone teach them the 'rules of the road'? I see kids riding all over the place. I think that riding a bicycle is the first place we learn the rules of the road. My biggest fear with our youngest learning to drive was she never mastered a bicycle. Never showed an interest in learning. On the bicycle, you learn the skills at a lower speed to manage the information overload of all of these other vehicles around you. Your brain learns to process these activities while you travel at a slow speed in preparation for the day you get behind the wheel of a 305 horsepower, 4200 pound vehicle, and go forth into the world to conquer.

I did have a cold Rahr (local beer) last night.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

Last edited by CaryBosse; 01-28-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:00 AM

I just told some whippersnapper to get of my lawn!

The culture is subject to change with time. This is natural and to be expected.
Few of us forage and hunt for our meals.
Almost none of us carry a club or drag our spouses around by the hair.
Most of us have central heat, indoor plumbing and power.

I concur completely with OP's rant and enjoyed it. But be careful...it is too easy to fall in to the trap of comparing generational differences.

The solution is to grit your teeth, take a deep breath and force yourself to "hang" with those much younger than your chronological peer group. It is stimulating and enables one to keep a proper perspective on the aging process and stay mentally "young". After all, discussing chronic health problems with your age group is self defeating and boring.

This is a great Forum. You never can anticipate what you are going to read next.
Keep it coming and keep on trucking.

2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payload View Post
The solution is to grit your teeth, take a deep breath and force yourself to "hang" with those much younger than your chronological peer group. It is stimulating and enables one to keep a proper perspective on the aging process and stay mentally "young". After all, discussing chronic health problems with your age group is self defeating and boring.

This is a great Forum. You never can anticipate what you are going to read next.
Keep it coming and keep on trucking.
All good points. . ..

I'm just waiting for 2 things.

1.) For my Cyber Gray Colorado LT 3.6L that is on order to ship.

2.) Harley riding weather. I peek at her a lot and make sure she is ok, on the battery tender and resting on the carpeted hibernation spot I have out in the cold 30* garage. Jealous of my brother who stores his in his 55* heated workshop.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:36 AM

Garage
I'm a boomer and agree that our culture has been sliding into self absorbed quagmire. I tend to believe that the instant communication these days is really just empowering the jack ass tendencies that humans have always had, just giving them a better voice.

However, I was on a consulting job this week at a company with a lot of twenty something engineers doing fantastic work and they correctly pointed out to me that our generation aren't exactly saints. We start wars for no good reason. We believe all the hate and distortion on the Fox "News" channel, etc. One thing the younger generation knows for sure, the world is changing and people our age won't be around much longer anyway.
Arctic Cat ZRT likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonesGTO View Post
The problem stems from how... we're raised.
^^^ This. It isn't technology, schools, race, religion, guns, privilege, or politics. It is what values are instilled by the raisers to the raised. All the rest are just excuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode