• 1 Post By LudditeDave
  • 1 Post By kaiser67
  • 1 Post By MadSci
  • 1 Post By MadSci
  • 2 Post By bac522
  • 1 Post By kaiser67

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

New England Vacation - ME, VT, NH, MA - tips?

Hi Everyone!!
Long story short - I grew up in NH (Dover) but my husband has never been to VT or ME. Taking a weeks vacation although, we haven't plotted out the week yet - but our focus is to hit Portsmouth NH (my brother lives there), driving up to southern Maine (Portland and anything south of that in ME), then up to northern Vermont (Alchemist Brewery). At that point - I really want to visit Cape Cod/Boston area but that's not necessarily needed pending time. This will be the beginning of May.

For those of you from Maine, specifically, the area between the NH border and Portland - we'd LOVE to find a seaside walking trail (or even a coastal drive) to see the sights, homes, waterfalls, lighthouses, and whatever else makes Maine....Maine.
Any suggestions? I've been searching TripAdvisor for ideas. There's just soooooo much out there.

For those of you from Northern Vermont - near the Alchemist Brewery (Stowe, VT) - What's 'of interest' in that area? We like to hike on scenic hikes and we like to fish (would require a guide service). No skiing (middle of May). I know there's a lot of mountains up there.....Perhaps Moss Glen Falls?

Lastly but not least - Boston/ Cape Code area. This will probably be more of an eating, brewery seeking, beer drinking time (again). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Looking for those 'secret' gems that might not be listed online anywhere.
Thanks!! Looking forward to it!!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:53 PM

Where to start...If you come up I-95, at the bottom of exit 27 in Bridgeport CT there is BrewPort brewpub. 8 of their own beers with original recipes from the late 1800s and early 1900s and about 15 guest taps. Pizza and salad are the only food options, but it is good New Haven style pizza. Further up 95, off exit 31 in Stratford is Two Roads brewery, the largest brewery in CT. They have food trucks most days except Mon and Tues. Take the tour so you can compare the operation of a macro brewery to a mega brewery, which you can take later when you get to Anheiser Busch Budweiser brewery in Merrimack , NH. Even if you aren't fond of AB, the grounds are perfectly manicured, and the tour gives you a good perspective of how much beer is produced in the US, and if the Clydesdales are there, you can visit the stables. Maine beer in Freeport has some fabulous cult beers (Maine Lunch/Maine Dinner) that will impress your beer geek friends when you bring it home. The Portland Head lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth is interesting; it was commissioned by George Washington. Take a harbor cruise of Casco Bay, a lot of history there. Go to Gritty Macduffs brewpub in Portland, one of New Englands oldest brewpubs. Also checkout Gearys brewing and the Great Lost Bear in Portland, it's a beer bar that has most of the Maine beers on tap. North of Boston in Woburn is Lord Hobo brewing/brewpub. I haven't met any of their beers that I did not like. The drive up MT Washington is nice if it open then. Theres also Wachusetts mountain, the tallest in Mass. In Bennington VT there is a tour of Hildene where Pres Lincoln's son had a homestead on top of a mountain. He was the COE of Pullman railcar co. There is Madison Bros brewing in Bennington.

Ok, I have just scratched the surface
Janster likes this.

Ordered 11/10/14: 2015 Colorado LT EC,4wd, Red Rock Metallic, Conv and Luxury package, G80, Bose & Nav, 18" dark argent wheels, black assist steps, bed mat, bed divider, tow package.
Event status 3000 12/15/14. Still at 3000 12/29/14. Status 3000 01/05/15. Status 3000 01/12/15. Status 3400 no VIN or TPW 01/17/15. Got VIN, and waiting transportation 01/27/15. On the train 02/04/15. At dealer 02/13/15, taking delivery 02/18/15; 100 days stock to dock.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:00 PM

For a good list of breweries, beer bars and liquor stores from Maine to Delaware, go online and visit Yankee Brew News or Ale Street news, or get a hard copy at most good brew pubs or liquor stores. Shangys in Allentown or Stoudts, Victory, or Weyerbacher should have them.

Ordered 11/10/14: 2015 Colorado LT EC,4wd, Red Rock Metallic, Conv and Luxury package, G80, Bose & Nav, 18" dark argent wheels, black assist steps, bed mat, bed divider, tow package.
Event status 3000 12/15/14. Still at 3000 12/29/14. Status 3000 01/05/15. Status 3000 01/12/15. Status 3400 no VIN or TPW 01/17/15. Got VIN, and waiting transportation 01/27/15. On the train 02/04/15. At dealer 02/13/15, taking delivery 02/18/15; 100 days stock to dock.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:31 PM

I live in central Mass now but grew up around Portland, then Portsmouth before going to school in Boston so I'm fairly acquainted to the overall area. Portsmouth is great and I absolutely love it there. There is a lot of microbreweries around the area now. Last summer with my family we did a growler tour that takes you on a minibus tour to 5-6 local breweries around the seacoast, highly recommend it. They also bring you to a local distillery if you like American whiskey or colonial style rum. There are a couple nano-breweries right near downtown Portsmouth. The Thirsty Moose is a bar downtown that has close to 100 beers on tap. If you like cigars there's also Federal Cigar with a bar that is nice.

Route 1 and 1A in sections goes along the coast of NH and Maine and has some areas that are beautiful and very nice drives. Through Kennebunkport is George HW Bush's home (anymore?) it's right on the water on a point and is cool to see and pretty. Some of the small Maine towns around there are also nice to see and hangout. Cape Elizabeth is very pretty just outside of Portland and like Dave said, the Portland Head Light is part of Fort Williams there that has some nice walking and views when it's nice plus old WW2 coastal forts and whatnot.
South Portland also has some waterfront parks that are nice to walk and plenty of old forts around Portland area.

Boston and the Cape are nice, though May might still be a little early to fully enjoy the cape but at least you beat all the crazy crowds then. If you take Rt 6 all the way down (down means up on the Cape) to Provincetown (P-town) it's truly a place to see if you aren't afraid of LGBT communities. It's also a pretty drive. I suggest getting a bite to eat at the Beach Comber in Wellfleet. It's right on bluff above the beach on the ocean side.
Cape Cod brewery in Hyannis has some decent beer. They have a blonde that is perfect when it's warm.
I also suggest stopping Framingham MA at Jack's Abbey, awesome beer there. The big ones in Boston also have great tours like Sam Adams and Harpoon. Nightshift is a newer, quickly growing, brewery just north of Boston.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I love the area and implore any and all to experience the beauty of New England!

PS, Wachusett is not actually the tallest in MA, that goes to Mt. Greylock.
Janster likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Hoyt's lodges in Rye is a great place to stay.

The light house at Portsmouth Harbour is open for tours on the weekends. (I proposed to my fiancee at the top)
Red hook brewery is up the road along with Kittery, the walking path in Ogunquit along the ocean, and Portsmouth is a cool city too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Janster likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Boston has Fanueil Hall. The old north church, the old state house where the declaration of independence was read. Paul Revere's house is in the north end. I don't know if it's open for tours because of restoration efforts but the oldest commissioned war ship the USS Constitution is in Charlestown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Janster likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:09 AM

I find nothing special about VT and have travel both states quite a bit, not any different then the White Mountains of NH which I find has more to do, take a trip up the Cog to top of Mount Washington, you wouldn't think so but it's a lot of fun! Zip lining at Attatash is a blast too.
Janster and kaiser67 like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:53 PM

Don't forget the HOOTERS meet the end of April here in ct.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Awesome information gang!! I've been tied up yesterday and today being V Day - I won't have time to cruise the forum. A quick look this morning.
THANK YOU!!

I'm gonna print out the information probably do some research this week/weekend.

I did see a Brewbus tour - https://www.themainebrewbus.com
It does Portland and Boston. Looked at that briefly. An option for sure pending time and other activities of course.

We seriously need to start mapping out the week. We don't like to 'wing it' for fear of not having a reservation at a hotel!! (I remember those many memories when I was a kid with my parents driving forever to find a place to stay...it was horrible!).

So much to see, so little time...... I would love to go to Mt. Washington and drive up it. I may have been there when I was too young to care...LOL. It would be 'on our way' to VT. The only downside.....May 8th-12th ... it might not be open to the public yet. :(. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.
I see there's snow coach tours that'll take you up all year round - that'll be an option if the road is closed.

Awesome ideas!! THANK YOU!!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Garage
If you are interested in seeing a bunch of breweries there is the Granite State Growler Tours. That is a good way to hit some of the good spots without having to drive.

For hiking on the Maine coast I would highly recommend https://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

If you have any questions please feel free to PM. Good luck, Dan

BDS 5.5" Lift with Fox Shocks
RBP 94R 18x9 with custom Laser Blue inserts
305/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Awesome information gang!! I've been tied up yesterday and today being V Day - I won't have time to cruise the forum. A quick look this morning.
THANK YOU!!

I'm gonna print out the information probably do some research this week/weekend.

I did see a Brewbus tour - https://www.themainebrewbus.com
It does Portland and Boston. Looked at that briefly. An option for sure pending time and other activities of course.

We seriously need to start mapping out the week. We don't like to 'wing it' for fear of not having a reservation at a hotel!! (I remember those many memories when I was a kid with my parents driving forever to find a place to stay...it was horrible!).

So much to see, so little time...... I would love to go to Mt. Washington and drive up it. I may have been there when I was too young to care...LOL. It would be 'on our way' to VT. The only downside.....May 8th-12th ... it might not be open to the public yet. :(. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.
I see there's snow coach tours that'll take you up all year round - that'll be an option if the road is closed.

Awesome ideas!! THANK YOU!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerado View Post
If you are interested in seeing a bunch of breweries there is the Granite State Growler Tours. That is a good way to hit some of the good spots without having to drive.

For hiking on the Maine coast I would highly recommend https://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

If you have any questions please feel free to PM. Good luck, Dan
Yes, the Granite State Growler Tour is what I mentioned. Really fun and awesome beer from the NH seacoast. They also make pretzels with spent grain, delicious!

I would be doubtful that the Mt. Washington Auto Road will be open in early May yet.
Lazerado likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode