Guide to 2" lift - Page 12 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM

With a torsion bar lift, you lift it until you reach the height you want. It's not a magical 2" lift.

Shackles for the rear are a hard number. The only thing to prevent the rear from increasing height based on what the manufacturer says (they offer different heights) is how sagged out your springs have become. For instance, if your springs are really week, you may gain about 1.75" of lift on 2" shackles. Just because springs are weak, not because shackles are faulty.

2" taller in the rear, and cranking the front so much to get level, the tires will probably look at tad small.

When I picked up my 2008 Z85 4x4, I torsion bar lifted the front to match stock height. That was about all I think it takes to make it still look okay.

Also, something to be aware of is using stock torsion keys to raise the front so much to mach the 2" rear left may not be achievable. The torsion bars sag over time, so your truck may be settled now. Lets just say it has sagged an inch. So as you lift the truck, the first inch of adjustment just gets you back to stock, but you've used a lot of the adjustment just to get there.

It's worth a try, but may not be something accomplished with stock keys on an older vehicle with so much height requested.

Be aware that that is about a full torsion bar lift. That means the differential needs to be lowered. Ball joints may need to be flipped (depends on the vehicle). And the worst of all, the ride quality goes to crap. Several have eventually installed a lift kit because the ride is horrible with tall torsion bar lifts. I'm in that boat, the truck rides very stiff.

Also, my Z85 has 1.5" rear lift shackles, and the front is almost level and I am maxed out...I can't lift enough up front to match a 2" rear shackle....suspension limitations.

And lastly, if you start tweaking the front end height you're affecting the alignment. So testing here and there keeps on screwing up your alignment. Don't do this work, or test, unless you're ready to start and finish then shortly after follow up with an alignment.

Some of the cons I've mentioned have been covered several times so I won't be writing it out again. Such as ball joints and differential lowering.
Kc2Buk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
With a torsion bar lift, you lift it until you reach the height you want. It's not a magical 2" lift.

Shackles for the rear are a hard number. The only thing to prevent the rear from increasing height based on what the manufacturer says (they offer different heights) is how sagged out your springs have become. For instance, if your springs are really week, you may gain about 1.75" of lift on 2" shackles. Just because springs are weak, not because shackles are faulty.

2" taller in the rear, and cranking the front so much to get level, the tires will probably look at tad small.

When I picked up my 2008 Z85 4x4, I torsion bar lifted the front to match stock height. That was about all I think it takes to make it still look okay.

Also, something to be aware of is using stock torsion keys to raise the front so much to mach the 2" rear left may not be achievable. The torsion bars sag over time, so your truck may be settled now. Lets just say it has sagged an inch. So as you lift the truck, the first inch of adjustment just gets you back to stock, but you've used a lot of the adjustment just to get there.

It's worth a try, but may not be something accomplished with stock keys on an older vehicle with so much height requested.

Be aware that that is about a full torsion bar lift. That means the differential needs to be lowered. Ball joints may need to be flipped (depends on the vehicle). And the worst of all, the ride quality goes to crap. Several have eventually installed a lift kit because the ride is horrible with tall torsion bar lifts. I'm in that boat, the truck rides very stiff.

Also, my Z85 has 1.5" rear lift shackles, and the front is almost level and I am maxed out...I can't lift enough up front to match a 2" rear shackle....suspension limitations.

And lastly, if you start tweaking the front end height you're affecting the alignment. So testing here and there keeps on screwing up your alignment. Don't do this work, or test, unless you're ready to start and finish then shortly after follow up with an alignment.

Some of the cons I've mentioned have been covered several times so I won't be writing it out again. Such as ball joints and differential lowering.
Thank you for taking the time to give me this information.

I guess the look I'm going for is kind of like your truck. (very nice btw)
post #223 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelby232 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to give me this information.

I guess the look I'm going for is kind of like your truck. (very nice btw)
Thanks.

265/75-16 tires. About 10% larger than stock 235/75-15. Lucky to get 15mpg around town.

My tires are 1" taller than stock Z71 of the same model year.

Ride is pretty rough on more rough terrain. Normal road bumps here and there are tolerable, but on curves with a lot of patch work, the suspension doesn't cycle very well the the truck tends to skip across. Most noticeable at highway speeds. Harsh bumps on the road deflect the truck too.

Nothing you can't deal with, but it most certainly will not ride like your Z85 does right now.
Also though, the tires I have are more stiff than the P series tire that came stock. Combined torsion bar crank and tires make the ride more harsh.

post #224 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:19 PM

i would never use shackles to lift this truck. not if you plan on taking ur truck off road at all. if u use shackles the only benifit is being able to fit bigger tires. people talk @#$% on the block because of the increased chance of axle wrap but id rather take my chances with that than shackles if ur trying to keep the ride feeling stock. personally id put in a add a leaf (long) or heavy duty spring swap.
post #225 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Good luck putting blocks on a Colorado/Canyon to lift your truck.......lol

Shackles don't feel like stock either. Neither will AAL. I've only had AAL on one other truck, it wasn't stock ride quality.
post #226 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
Good luck putting blocks on a Colorado/Canyon to lift your truck.......lol

LoL. That was a funny one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #227 of 227 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 01:20 AM

Great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode