Shackle, Torsion Bar, Front and Rear Shock Write Up (DONE) - Page 23 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #441 of 446 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Its for generally for 2 to 3 inches in the front and 1 to 2 inches in the back. Torsion bars are adjustable. The more you crank up the keys the more lift you get but the ride gets stiffer and rougher the higher you go so most stay with around 2 inches. Shackles are easy to find just look on ebay. Anywhere from 1 to 3 inch lift shackles can be found there. There are a few shocks to choose from. .. most shocks use some sort of gas... nitro or hydro. Bilstein and rancho are the most popular brands guys use for lifted applications. Rancho Shock parts numbers I know pretty well so if you want them let me know

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 08-11-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 446 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDAP View Post
Its for generally for 2 to 3 inches in the front and 1 to 2 inches in the back. Torsion bars are adjustable. The more you crank up the keys the more lift you get but the ride gets stiffer and rougher the higher you go so most stay with around 2 inches. Shackles are easy to find just look on ebay. Anywhere from 1 to 3 inch lift shackles can be found there. There are a few shocks to choose from. .. most shocks use some sort of gas... nitro or hydro. Bilstein and rancho are the most popular brands guys use for lifted applications. Rancho Shock parts numbers I know pretty well so if you want them let me know
Yeah, what are the part numbers I could use for Rancho? I have a z71 3.5 L 4x4
post #443 of 446 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Rear... RS5301 or RS5325(cheaper shocks). Also RS999301 which is adjustable from really soft to really stiff, has polyurethane bushings, uses nitrogen gas and is more expensive then the RS5301.

For the front RS5300 (cheaper) or RS999300 (more expensive with the same features as the RS999301).

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

post #444 of 446 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon08Z71 View Post
Great job on the write up!

:)
If All you need is to level the front end adjusting the torsion bars is sufficient. I have an 09 Colorado with cooper all terrain AT3 they are 16 inch LT245/75R16 120\116R . the trucks OEM size were 16's and the width of the tire caused the tire to stick out about an inch and a 1/4 from the front and rear fenders. I had to add fender flares, However you are limited on what is available and I do not recommend the bushwackers. They are to wide and look gaudy . I recommend the EGR model 751194 They look factory and they are paintable. If you go with a bigger rim such as a 17 they will still fit But the tire is Wider and sticks out even further and a fender flare with 2" + . With 17 and above rims you will have to get a leveling kit or lift kit for clearance. This is my 3rd colorado and I have experience with them. Doing what I did 16" rims and adjusting the torsion bars to raise the front did not affect my ride at all. I also have a 5.3 Liter V8 in mine. you can e mail me for pictures if you would like to see what I did. I also Have a pair of rear shackles to help with leveling . They are part of the rough country 920 leveling kit for a canyon or colorado I will sell if you need them. YOu can order the torsion bar spacers from rough country to complete the leveling of your truck. THey sell the kit for around 70.00 I will sell the shackles for 25 + shipping and you can get the spacers for around 15-20.00 . On a truck I did I made torsion bar spacers by going to my local bearing shop and getting a spacer that was thick walled and used for motor shafts.

Last edited by 08Canyon; 11-14-2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: removed personal contact info
post #445 of 446 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo219 View Post
If All you need is to level the front end adjusting the torsion bars is sufficient. I have an 09 Colorado with cooper all terrain AT3 they are 16 inch LT245/75R16 120\116R . the trucks OEM size were 16's and the width of the tire caused the tire to stick out about an inch and a 1/4 from the front and rear fenders. I had to add fender flares, However you are limited on what is available and I do not recommend the bushwackers. They are to wide and look gaudy . I recommend the EGR model 751194 They look factory and they are paintable. If you go with a bigger rim such as a 17 they will still fit But the tire is Wider and sticks out even further and a fender flare with 2" + . With 17 and above rims you will have to get a leveling kit or lift kit for clearance. This is my 3rd colorado and I have experience with them. Doing what I did 16" rims and adjusting the torsion bars to raise the front did not affect my ride at all. I also have a 5.3 Liter V8 in mine. you can e mail me for pictures if you would like to see what I did. I also Have a pair of rear shackles to help with leveling . They are part of the rough country 920 leveling kit for a canyon or colorado I will sell if you need them. YOu can order the torsion bar spacers from rough country to complete the leveling of your truck. THey sell the kit for around 70.00 I will sell the shackles for 25 + shipping and you can get the spacers for around 15-20.00 . On a truck I did I made torsion bar spacers by going to my local bearing shop and getting a spacer that was thick walled and used for motor shafts.
Welcome aboard. Thanks for the contribution but it is not clear who exactly you were directing your comment towards. The first post in this thread was posted 8 years ago and the most recent is over a year old.

Also I edited your post to remove your personal contact info (site rules suggest no personal email, etc in the threads).
post #446 of 446 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 PM

Garage
I know this is bringing an old post back to life, but this might be a tip for anyone jumping into this project. (I also may have missed someone else saying this in the previous pages, but I am not reading through all 45 pages lol.) When I went to do the rear shackles, the rubber bushings in the leaf spring and original shackles were so corroded and stuck in there, we couldn't get them out any conventional way, it took a torch and lots of pounding on it with a hammer and a punch to get all of them out, the back bushings you can't buy, as I believe they come in the a set of new leafs, so I replaced the bushings with the front leaf spring bushings, the ones for the front side of the leafs, there was a little play, but it has worked fine so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode