"Please use caution and seek professional assistance when necessary. ColoradoFans.com, myself and all associated members are not responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm which may occur with this modification. This post does not reflect the views of ColoradoFans.com and it's ownership." Before attempting this modification, it is advised to verify your Colorado or Canyon service manual or a certified mechanic, as not all GMT 355's are the same!
A CFans Members Mod Projects/How-To by Coyote
Reduce the severity of the angle on your CV boots after cranking your torsion bars by lowering the front differential by 1/2". Also allows you to turn your wheel full to one side without causing a metal on metal sound.
Skill Level: Easy
Model: Colorado LS 4WD
Theory of Operation:
Lowering your front differential will reduce the angle of your CV boots. This should help prolong the life and reduce the chances of tearing/ripping and expensive repairs.
1. Purchase the appropriate spacer for about 1/2". I used 6x 1/2 flat zinc washers from Menards. SKU 232-1172 A single piece spacer will be easier to install than 6 washers.
2. Loosen the 2 bolts holding the differential to the frame on one side of the vehicle. Make sure you have at least 1/2" between the frame and top of the mounting bracket.
In the picture below one mount is above the cv joint and the other is above the tie rod end boot.
3. Remove one bolt all the way; I chose to do the rear first. After removing place the six washers between the frame and the mounting bracket.
4. Reinsert the bolt through the mounting bracket hole and your spacer. Tighten enough to hold it up and then do the same for the other bolt on the same side. Snug the bolts on with a socket wrench.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 on the other side of the vehicle.
6. Torque the bolts to 112 ft/lbs.
CV angle before:
CV angle after:
CV angle after spacers:
After spacers photos:
1" spacers installed
CV angle after spacers
Differential height after spacers
Pinion angle after spacers
'06 Crew Silverado 4.8L 3.73 4WD G80 Granite Blue Metallic
'08 EC 3.7 Auto 3.73 4WD G80 Granite Black Metallic - Traded for 2006 Silvy
'05 EC, I5M, Z71, 4wd 4.10 gears, G80, SB Orange, 1.5" AAL, 1.5" TB lift, Lifted Club #115 - traded for 2008
'76 CJ5, 304 V8, 3spd, rebuild in progress.
- CV Stress Relief
RIP Spike 9-25-2007