How To: Suspension Maxx Level/Lift/Lower Kit for 4WD or Z71 - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Re: How To Install Suspension Maxx Leveling/Lift/Lowering Kit

Huh, that is not what I was expecting.

Looks like you've got just as much A-arm clearance as I do. Very interesting.

As far as I understand, the TB's are locked into place and cannot be adjusted if they wear out? Or can I keep cranking them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

If you have keys like Suspension Maxx you can pull them off, recalibrate, reinstall and readjust. That's what I did for the driver's side. You can see in the pics that the adjustment on the driver's side bolt is almost identical to the other side. When I moved the cam to the #2 position, it changed where the internal hex grabbed the hex on the TB.

Your TBs would have to sag really bad before you couldn't adjust them with this setup.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #23 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONYD
they were never required...however, I can tell you if he cranked his without the keys 3", he sure would know the difference between now and when he had his cranked an inch and a half. It doesnt take even bumps to notice the ride with them cranked all the way. I think if I was only to do 1-1 1/2" I wouldnt even have bothered, but after cranking mine fully with and without the keys, I am sooo glad I installed them.
So in other words, even though the ride may be a little harsher over rough terrain, it's still better than not having keys like this, correct?

absolutely, the fact you thought it was even comparable proves that! When I had mine cranked that far w/out keys it was almost unbareable.

Update

When doing the install, I used the A1 calibration to get 3" of lift. Keep in mind this is for torsion bars with little or no sag. Since my driver's side TB had sagged, the difference was apparent in how much bolt showed through the top of the key. When I mentioned this to Larry, he suggested using calibration 'A2' on the driver's TB.
Here's the results:

Driver's side with A1

Driver's side with A2

Compared to Passenger side A1

I'm starting to really like this kit. :D

2006 Canyon Z71 4x4. Homemade CAI, gutted manifold cat, Magnaflow muffler, Vette servo, Delco iridiums, Mobil 1, H3 springs and TB keys lift, Geolander A/T 32"X11.5's on stock wheels. PCMFORLESS

post #24 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:24 PM

Do you need to get a front end alignment after installing this kit?

2006 GMC Canyon
black crew 4x4 offroad
post #25 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:24 PM

really good write up ssg!

*dont mean to hate* but personally it sounds like there isnt much of a difference between 3" on the keys and maxed out tb's. the way i understood your explanation is that they are fairly harsh over rough terrain but just a little bit better than maxed/adjusted more than 2"+ tb's. ive noticed in my truck after maxxing out my tb's that i get about the same ride quality as you explained after the 3" keys. but liek you said if you dont mind the ride dont spend the money.

im still a little confused about adjusting after the keys are installed. since my tb's are maxed now, can i install the keys with maxxed tb's and get 3" ontop of the previous 3-3/4" i already had? or do i have to zero them out and just go for the 3" from the keys?

where i grew up chicks dig a pick up man!
LIFTED MEMBER #240

MODS:

westin bull bar black and chrome 4" tubing l HELLA 500 driving lights l 3'6" CB whip roof mounted l arrow shaft over stock radio antena l window stickers-- 6 in rear window--1 on front windshield l skyjacker 2.5" AAl l skyjacker 7000 shocks l TB crank l Crager Soft 8's 15x8 l 32x11.5x15 Cooper Discovery STT

FUTURE MODS:

3" PA body lift l Cobra 40 channel CB radio
post #26 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly_heaven
really good write up ssg!

*dont mean to hate* but personally it sounds like there isnt much of a difference between 3" on the keys and maxed out tb's. the way i understood your explanation is that they are fairly harsh over rough terrain but just a little bit better than maxed/adjusted more than 2"+ tb's. ive noticed in my truck after maxxing out my tb's that i get about the same ride quality as you explained after the 3" keys. but liek you said if you dont mind the ride dont spend the money.

im still a little confused about adjusting after the keys are installed. since my tb's are maxed now, can i install the keys with maxxed tb's and get 3" ontop of the previous 3-3/4" i already had? or do i have to zero them out and just go for the 3" from the keys?
You should be able to go higher now..

2006 Canyon Z71 4x4. Homemade CAI, gutted manifold cat, Magnaflow muffler, Vette servo, Delco iridiums, Mobil 1, H3 springs and TB keys lift, Geolander A/T 32"X11.5's on stock wheels. PCMFORLESS
post #27 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Your not going to get 3" + what you have. That doesnt even make sense lol.

Its going to be identical to your stock setup....only difference is you can "calibrate" it meaning moving the center peice around to grab the bar at a different angle and turn it up with fewer cranks. Therefore netting in more heigth if you were limited by your stock keys.

If your maxxed out on stock keys and have no down travel, these keys arent going to do anything because it can only come up so far. Meaning, if your already on the frame stops like me :D , your CANT go any higher with these keys. Plain aind simple.....

Lifted Club Member #179
TOTW Winner Week #31 2008
Gun Toting American Club Member #55
CAI, Gutted Cat, Magnaflow, PCMforless Tune, New Head! (Thanks GM), Supermod PTB, Vette Servo
2" TB Crank, BJ flip w/1/4" Spacer, 2" Procomp AAL, Air Shocks, 1" BL
**SINSITY KUSTOMZ**
post #28 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 12:24 AM

with this kit, do you think you could fit a 33/?/18 tire with no problems??

'05 crew cab z71 canyon
Lifted Club Member #256

Audio:
jvc kw-avx810 with ipod cable, alpine spr-17's all around, alpine pdx-5,
uts sub box with 2 8" boston subs ------FOR SALE, PM if interested

Misc:
viper 5900 alarm w/ remote start, painted interior to match,
tinted tails and 3rd brake light, 20% front tint and 35% rear tint,
3" suspension maxx keys and 2.5 " aal

Future Mods:
pro comp 18's, ddm HIDs, supermod interior light and DRLs,
mbrp cool duals, k&n cold air intake, painted mirrors and handles to match
post #29 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbyers96
Quote:
Quote:
Its going to be identical to your stock setup....only difference is you can "calibrate" it meaning moving the center peice around to grab the bar at a different angle and turn it up with fewer cranks. Therefore netting in more heigth if you were limited by your stock keys.
Well stated JR! :D You can't add 3" on top of what you got. But the advantage of these keys is you can calibrate for torsion bar sag and don't have to make as many turns on the bolts.

These keys will get you in the 3.75" - 4.00" range, but then the upper arm will hit the frame and ride quality is out the window. So I wouldn't recommend going over 3.25".

But if your adjusters are maxed out right now, you could use the keys to get back to the same height without having to turn the bolts as much.

HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases

post #30 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon_fan91
with this kit, do you think you could fit a 33/?/18 tire with no problems??
Depends on the actual tire diameter and the width. If you didn't have the lower air dam or mudflaps, 33X10.50s should fit without issue. Something like a 33X12.50, I'm not sure.

post #31 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM

thanks ssg, jr that cleared up my questions about that.

so ive already maxed out my front end lift with tb crank / or keys.

now time to get the 3" body lift =) so i can be riding higher then alot of full sizes.

where i grew up chicks dig a pick up man!
LIFTED MEMBER #240

MODS:

westin bull bar black and chrome 4" tubing l HELLA 500 driving lights l 3'6" CB whip roof mounted l arrow shaft over stock radio antena l window stickers-- 6 in rear window--1 on front windshield l skyjacker 2.5" AAl l skyjacker 7000 shocks l TB crank l Crager Soft 8's 15x8 l 32x11.5x15 Cooper Discovery STT

FUTURE MODS:

3" PA body lift l Cobra 40 channel CB radio
post #32 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well stated JR! :D You can't add 3" on top of what you got. But the advantage of these keys is you can calibrate for torsion bar sag and don't have to make as many turns on the bolts.

These keys will get you in the 3.75" - 4.00" range, but then the upper arm will hit the frame and ride quality is out the window. So I wouldn't recommend going over 3.25".

But if your adjusters are maxed out right now, you could use the keys to get back to the same height without having to turn the bolts as much.

this is what I meant...you have more adjustability before max with the keys. Not that I would ever, or makes any sense.

post #33 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If your maxxed out on stock keys and have no down travel, these keys arent going to do anything because it can only come up so far. Meaning, if your already on the frame stops like me :D , your CANT go any higher with these keys. Plain aind simple.....

you are wrong.... it does make sense. But you are right that things other than the TB stop you. With the keys, it gives you the 3" without going to full crank... You can adjust more with the keys.

post #34 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM

so did you have to use that tool that looks like a c-clamp?? i hope not, that thing is like $100!!

totw 7-09
post #35 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

No tool needed on Canyon/Colorado. You just back the bolt out and release the tension/preload.

post #36 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

That reminds me. The 2WD coil spring guys use Tacoma spacers to get front lift. Suspension Maxx makes a spacer by special request for the Tacoma. They also make spacers for the late model Silvys, Tahoes, Trailblazers, etc. I need to hit Larry up and see about a spacer for the members on here with coil springs.

post #37 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you are wrong.... it does make sense. But you are right that things other than the TB stop you. With the keys, it gives you the 3" without going to full crank... You can adjust more with the keys.
Umm NO Im not. Hes not going to have 3" already and change keys to get ANOTHER 3" goober.

Lifted Club Member #179
CAI, Gutted Cat, Magnaflow, PCMforless Tune, New Head! (Thanks GM), Supermod PTB, Vette Servo
**SINSITY KUSTOMZ**
post #38 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:52 PM

goober...??? anyway, where did I say he would get a another 3"?? when you use keys, you have more adjust. I said he can go 3" without FULLY cranking the bars.. WTF dude you dont even have them, so how the f would you know anyway??? He will have another inch or two of adjustability on the actual bars, because they are not fully cranked, like they would be at 3" without the keys.. But I'm sure you have installed them by osmosis or something to be able to comment... Seeing as you use the word goober, you might want to look up the work osmosis.

post #39 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM

Sigh....

You said, "it does make sense".

He asked me if he had already cranked his tb's 3" would these keys give him another 3" on top of what he already had. I said no, that doesnt even make sense. Then clearly explained to him how it all worked.

Quote:
WTF dude you dont even have them, so how the f would you know anyway??? He will have another inch or two of adjustability on the actual bars, because they are not fully cranked, like they would be at 3" without the keys.. But I'm sure you have installed them by osmosis or something to be able to comment....
I dont have to have the fucking keys to know how shit works. I believe i know WTF im talkin about. Your not going to get ANY MORE LIFT out of the fucking keys unless your bars have sagged to the point you were maxxed out on the adjuster bolts (tight) and still had more room to lift it. My keys are maxxed and my suspension is at its highest point. If i bought/wasted my money on these keys, I would get the SAME EXACT LIFT with less amount of turns because you can calibrate the inner peice of the key. So why throw away money on these if they do nothing UNLESS your tb's are worn out/sagging.

So you are a GOOBER

Quote:
Seeing as you use the word goober, you might want to look up the work osmosis.
You want me to look up the WORK osmosis?

Umm how about instead of goober ill just call you FUCK tard. Better?

Now this thread has been ruined of its useful info due to a young prick. Sigh...

Mods...can someone clean this shit up?

Lifted Club Member #179
**SINSITY KUSTOMZ**
post #40 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the compliment! I have not been called a young anything in quite sometime!! Its OK dude you can be right...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode