Need advice - lowering for disabled access - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By n9cv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Need advice - lowering for disabled access

I have MS with a leg that I have to manually lift into my 2008 Canyon extended cab. If I could lower the truck 2 or 3 inches it would help a lot.
The problem is I have an electric scooter that I transport with a hitch carrier. It weighs about 300 lbs.
Will i have an issue with the truck bottoming out? Can I use the standard lowering kits or do I need something special?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post
I have MS with a leg that I have to manually lift into my 2008 Canyon extended cab. If I could lower the truck 2 or 3 inches it would help a lot.
The problem is I have an electric scooter that I transport with a hitch carrier. It weighs about 300 lbs.
Will i have an issue with the truck bottoming out? Can I use the standard lowering kits or do I need something special?

Thanks
I doubt a couple inches will make the truck bottom out. So yeah, I think just lower it. It will be just like it is now just lower.....

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Here is my suggestion. Lower it a lot more and install a set of airbags. Then install an electric airbag compressor with a remote control switch for both inflate and deflate in the cab.

I suggest this because I have rear air suspension on my motorhome. I also carry a 450 pound motorcycle on the rear hitch. Deflating the rear air suspension makes it very easy to get the motorcycle off and on again.
Toughsox and JScottM like this.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

I can't afford the air bag system (am i right, it looks like it's about $1500?) on disability pay, but it does look like a good solution.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 AM

I think mine on my Colorado were around $200. I do not have an automatic compressor. I fill my truck with an air hose when needed.

I just found it here:

59546, Air Lift Ride Control Kit - Rear, Suspension Load Leveling Kit | TruckSpring
Air Springs Kits - 2008 GMC Canyon | TruckSpring

You still need to add a compressor and control. I did one once on another vehicle with an onboard compressor. I went to the junk yard and got a rear compressor and level sensing switch out of an Olds Toronado for $20.00 and installed it. Cadillac also used them on some vehicles.

If you are not up to doing a self installation or junk yards, then a new compressor system can be had from the same company above. Here is a manual level wireless one. They have others.

25870, Air Lift WirelessONE, Suspension Air Compressor Kit | TruckSpring

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Would I still use a cheaper lowering kit with the blocks and font end parts, then add the air bags?
thx
those were a lot cheaper then the ones i originally looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode