Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics on Page 5)

167K views 277 replies 119 participants last post by  GregDAP 
#1 ·
Anyone cranked down the torsion bars yet to raise the front end up? I heard its hard on the CV boots in the s-10's. I want to raise my front end up an inch or two but I dont know how many turns it requires.

#252 ·
Suspension Maxx is getting ready to release a kit for the trucks with coil spring suspension. Kit will include strut spacers, ball joint spacers, bumpstop extensions, and hardware,

#253 ·
ssgjurista said:
Suspension Maxx is getting ready to release a kit for the trucks with coil spring suspension. Kit will include strut spacers, ball joint spacers, bumpstop extensions, and hardware,
Thanks again SSG.

For those interested like me with the Z85 model with coil springs, check out this thread

> viewtopic.php?f=55&t=73251

Also, Summit Racing has the kit for $280.99 - Cheapest around!! <--- Ha Ha... so much for that, now it's $350

> http://summitracing.com/parts/RLS-69-3075/?image=large

::chevy::

#254 ·
so here i am just sitting her trying to figure out what to do.. i am reading all these testimonials on cranking the tbs and i am going crazy

i mean i mine as well do it and see what happens '
i just got new wrangler silent armors and i am not trying to have these bitches wear down so quickly even if i get another alignment

so what should i do???

#257 ·
The differential is the pumpkin/ball in the middle of the axles. It's what the driveshafts connect to. I don't even see where someone mentioned a rear differential.

#259 ·
Canyon835 said:
hah that went way over my head lol

its a 2 wheel drive so there is no reason to drop the diff.

i can just crank the tb and get an alignment and be done with it right???
Do you have a Z85 or Z71? You said you have a 2WD, so depending on how new you are to this, I wasn't sure if you were aware that 2WD Z85's don't even have torsion bars. If you have a Z71 though, you're good to go, as both 2WD and 4WD Z71's have torsion bars.

Dropping the differential in the front is to keep the angles on the CV joints close to stock so you don't wear them out. This may or may not be necessary. It just depends on how much you crank the bolt on the torsion bars.

#260 ·
i am new to this site and this is my first post. i have a 2007 ext. cab canyon offroad 4x4 (i haven't seen anyone mention the off road edition on this post, or is it just me?). i was looking this over yesterday and i decided to go out buy a 1 1/16 socket and do the crank. i turned each side of mine 2 and 1/2 cranks an drove it around and let it settle. i think i am going to wait a few days, do another turn and a half for a total of 4 turns and then go get it re aligned... is this a bad thign to do on the off road edition? i haven't seen anyone post anything on here about it, just te z series trucks and was wondering if this was alright for my truck?

#261 ·
Off road is a Z71, check your RPO codes in the glove box. All 4x4's and Z71's have the torsion bars.

#262 ·
hey guys whats up. i did mine today, did 3 turns on each side..took all of 15 mins. i thnk it looks a lot better.

#266 ·
xkmacx86 said:
OP: Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:52 am
show me one older still going
You said 'longest' running thread, not oldest. This thead could be the oldest but it definitely isn't the longest.

#271 ·
4wheelerado said:
Couple questions...
Do you need new shocks?
Will it work with my 4wd?
Can I get shackles for the rear leafs at my local auto store?
technically no. suspension maxx offers shock spacers to allow you to keep the current shocks. but if you lift it is reccomended that you do get upgraded shocks if you dont space

yes it will work with your 4x4 but you are limited to 2.5in of lift or so due to the cv shaft angles

the universal shackles are not braced and are not reccomended but do work. suspension maxx also has

#273 ·
So I have a question for you guys. Just bought a 07 colorado Ls 4x4, they guy I bought it from threw in a set of keys for the truck and two rear 2" shackles. I know nothing about what brand they are, but would this set up work together new too lift kits. Or could I just crank instead of installing the set given to me, and that with the shackles?

#275 ·
So the seller gave you a set of lift keys and lift shackles? They are currently not installed on the truck, correct? To answer your question yes they will work together. The shackles lift the rear and lift keys will re index the torsion bars to lift the front. Yes you could just crank the stock keys and achieve the same thing up front IF the stock keys have enough adjustment left to raise the front as much as you want to raise it. If you are lifting the rear 2 inches then you will want to do at least 2 inches in the front, 3 inches if you want it to sit level. Now 3 inches is a lot for a torsion bar lift... it will be very rough suspension wise and difficult to align.

#276 ·
I'm going to be replacing my upper and lower control arms, hub bearing assembly, tie rod ends, stabilizer bar links, shock absorbers, and motor mounts. going to crank up the torsion bar a bit, never dealt with one of these before. Its the first time I've done work like this on a newer truck, I'm used to oldies. Any useful tips, or things that might not be obvious? Thanks ahead of time I'll be doing a rough alignment and take to the shop to get done right with castor camber if necessary

Luis.
2004 Colorado LS 4x4 I5 engine, torsion bar,
as far as I know, mostly stock, I bought it used about a year and a half ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.