Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Roof Rack Club

33K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  CheesyFireman 
#1 ·
why not. thers a few of us with em. and since the trucks dont come with any, and most ppl probably dont want to drill holes in the roof. any rack is welcome, be it a basket, ski rack, bike rack, what ever. post up a pic of it and claim your number

RoofRack Club #1

See less See more
#2 ·
somebody is on a club kick! LOL #2!!! Thule rack that I added bars to for extra bungie locations. I got them to haul my kyacks ;) I have plans to add an LED light bar to mine!

#3 ·
club kick? you say that like its a bad thing!!:mrgreen::rofl

#8 ·
OMG yes!!!! :rofl

but then again, those are some huge a$$ LED lights on the front of mine. i think it would be better off with out the lights, but phuck that. the lights are here to stay. lol.

#11 ·
Before you guys get too far along I would like to point out that you mentioned about not drilling holes so you are aware that there are some issues surrounding the roof racks.
BUT, at the same time you aren't including any pictures devoted to just how these racks are being mounted.
Are you ashamed of your "mounts" gentlemen ?
All this talking about "racks" that you get to play with and even looking at the "racks" of others doesn't make you want to show your "mountings" ?
Tsk tsk tsk. >said while hanging my head<

:mrgreen:

#13 · (Edited)
Before you guys get too far along I would like to point out that you mentioned about not drilling holes so you are aware that there are some issues surrounding the roof racks.
BUT, at the same time you aren't including any pictures devoted to just how these racks are being mounted.
Are you ashamed of your "mounts" gentlemen ?
All this talking about "racks" that you get to play with and even looking at the "racks" of others doesn't make you want to show your "mountings" ?
Tsk tsk tsk. >said while hanging my head<

:mrgreen:

challange accepted...

My rack
2005 GMC Canyon All Canyon models Surco Safari Roof Rack - Surco Safari Basket - Surco Safari Racks
kit comes with every thing you need to install, minus a drill bit to drill into the roof. instructions included list the size bit needed. plenty of RTV around the hole, tho it comes with self sealing rivets...
didnt take pics of em, but this the best i can find... these with built in o-rings to seal)

my advice, skip those. they are very soft (probably brass) and strip out way to easily, leading to posible leaks (i had one that did...). i had to cut out the bad rivet and find a nut and bolt to fit. if done again, i'd use the supplyed screws (the are counter sunk into the rails), and find nuts to fit them and skip the rivets. lots of RTV. havent had a leak since. other then that one hick up, install was fairly simple. measure, mark, measure, mark (measure twice, cut once).

now few pics

when i first put the lights on. they ended up wayyyyyy higher then expected... and also blocked out my OnStar/XM some...

figured how to lower the lights... flipped and lowered the bracket. then mounted the lights under the bracket. then figured how to relocated the satalite antenna. luckly the cable was long enough to just stretch itout to the top of the rack.

yes it does get used

plan is eventually get a full size spare up there... get an extra z71 rim and 31" tire and strap it to the rack.

edit: 1-14-2013
something like this

#15 ·
my roof rack is thule with the feet designed to go into the gutter of the inside door jam. solid as a rock had them for over 2 years and they have never come loose and I wheel my rig hard!

#16 ·
thanx dude. lol. havent really had too many heavy loads up there. and not too sure which holes you are talking about. havent really noticed any kind of deflection, and have pushed trees out of the way with it. lol. the roof sheet metal does flex some, but i dont see it ripping out. but some nots and bolts with large washers insted of the rivets would probably help prevent that.

#17 ·
can someone take pics of their roof rack that doesn't mount to the top, but the inside of the door frame? I am thinking about making one, and I think that I want the type that mounts on the inside or door frame, but can't find any close up pics of exactly how these mount...

#18 ·
can someone take pics of their roof rack that doesn't mount to the top, but the inside of the door frame? I am thinking about making one, and I think that I want the type that mounts on the inside or door frame, but can't find any close up pics of exactly how these mount...
Zuece might. dig thru his PhotoBucket link

#20 ·
How 'bout the sound? Can you hear a, "whistle" when you are at speed? I really want to add a safari rack to my '11 Z71 LT. I want the rack to be bolted onto the roof so I can have a lower profile than what I see on most rigs. I'm leery about drilling holes into my roof, primarily because I don't know what is below the surface, like a single sheet or double sheet of steel and will it be strong enough to support the rack? I'm also wondering about exactly what to use to affix it? Some sort of rivet? Wonder why the folks at Chevy didn't add roof rack option?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.