How to: Permanently disable the passlock II system. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to noximus Send a message via Yahoo to noximus
Default How to: Permanently disable the passlock II system.

How to: Permanently disable the passlock II system.

I assume no responsibility if you harm your vehicle with this mod. ( follow the directions, this includes step one! )

Vehicle Information:

2006 Chevrolet Colorado, Z71, Crew Cab

Tool Needed:

1.Wire Cutters/scissors
2. Electrical Tape
3.Key to the truck

Cost: $0.25

****Pre How to warning****

This will disable the factory ignition security! I recommend getting an aftermarket security system to help protect your truck in case of an attempted theft.

What does this solve?

Any and all no start issue directly related to the passlock II system.

Step One: Start the truck, leaving it in park, and running during this process.

Step Two: Locate the plug pictured below, The plug is under the dash near the steering column. Open your driver door and stick your head on the floor near the gas and brake pedal and look up, it will be the big white plug staring you in the face. If you need anymore help let me know. You will notice that on the side closest to the front seats, the plug is pretty much split in two. We will be working with the right side of this plug. We are looking for the wire that is White with a BLUE stripe. It will be with other wires that are white/colored stripe.

Step Thee: Cut this wire in half, and electrical tape both ends.

Step four: Shut off the truck, You’re done!

Try restarting it, you will see the red security light on, but that can be removed with the LED mod how to.
How-to: Custom Gauge Lighting (LEDs) w/video

This can also be done using this Bypass (this is what is done on my 2007 Cobalt ss/sc for the remote start/alarm).

2006 Metallic Blue Colorado 7Z1: 3" SM keys, 2" rear shackels, 15% tinted windows, Kenwood KDC-X494 HU, Infinity Kappa 6.1 perfect all around. Infinity 475a amp, remote start/alarm.
2007 cobalt SS/SC: sold
2012 Raven R1 to many mods to list .

Last edited by noximus; 10-07-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added link for LED How-To
noximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: How to: Permanently disable the passlock II system.

Thanks for the how to but with an HPtuners you can disable it with out going through all that. :D
supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

yep, this is more for people that can't disable passlock or vats because they dont have access to hpt.

2006 Metallic Blue Colorado 7Z1: 3" SM keys, 2" rear shackels, 15% tinted windows, Kenwood KDC-X494 HU, Infinity Kappa 6.1 perfect all around. Infinity 475a amp, remote start/alarm.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I cant tell by the picture where that plug is located, can someone help? I'm doing this when I figure out where the plug is, I'm tired of being stranded for ten minutes once or twice a month. Thanks.
CCBIRDDOGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

The plug is under the dash near the steering column. Open your driver door and stick your head on the floor near the gas and brake pedal and look up, it will be the big white plug staring you in the face. If you need anymore help let me know

Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey all, first post to this forum as I just bought a 2006 Canyon ext-cab base model with 45K miles on it.

My question: How likely is it that I will encounter Passlock problems? If it is almost certain to happen, I'm gonna cut the stupid white-with-the-blue-stripe wire and have done with it (bearing in mind I'll have to reconnect it if I change the battery later). If many of these trucks never have an issue, I'll leave it until it happens (knowing that Murphy's Law will probably dictate that I'll be in a crappy neighborhood after dark, or running late for work, or some such, when it does).

Anybody care to weigh in on the probability of Passlock screwing me?
elg3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

As for failure... beats me. I have an '05 Z71 4x4 crew cab with 110k on the clock and the only problems I am having is the drivers window is jerky when I try to raise it and the blower doesn't work on 1-3. And as of this post, I haven't seen or heard of any problems with the passlock. So it's your call.
custom hard Tonneau cover
Westin Nerf bars
Alpine 6 disk changer
Custom dash extension - CD changer control, 5 12v aux ports, light switches
Rear low, mounted work light
1.5" TB crank - To level the truck
MORE TO COME...
glforeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know how common of a problem it is but mine acted up at around 28k miles. Wish I had read this first spent $300 at the dealership (stranded out of town of course) for a new ignition module.
2006 LT Regular Cab
3.5 auto 2wd
K_Paulus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

OK, so that's one "didn't happen" and one "happened to me, early on" ... Please keep replying if you have experience with this problem, but so far, the impression I'm getting is that it's quite possible I'll never have to deal with this. So, I plan to keep rolling as is until it screws up, then start the truck using the ten- or thirty-minute procedure and cut the dang wire. Thanks for the help so far!
elg3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

What would happen if the truck is not running when you do this? For example, the passlock f's up. Truck won't start. So I get under there and snip the wire.
rob678855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.