ICON 2.5 Lift (Moderate Lift Part2) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 139Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
ICON 2.5 Lift (Moderate Lift Part2)

ICON Vehicle Dynamics V.S. Series 2.5” Coilover Shocks

After the first thread:
Smaller Tires and Less Lift (and other weird things)

I wanted to start a fresh thread as the lift went from Levelers to Front Coilovers and Rear Springs. Still very content with leveler set up, due to my preclusion for rockcrawling and cornfields, the primary focus is full articulation, no rubbing, without sacrificing city driving, and nimble responsiveness of the truck.
Main choice of coilovers were King, Fox, and Icons. I have been a fan of Fox for years, had them on my Jeep and Tundra. I was in direct contact with Fox but luckily Fox messed up, and I had time to ponder the alternatives.
Progressive Shocks get stiffer the more compressed. They start out smooth and then tighten up.
Digressive Shocks are the opposite, being Firm at first, then smoothing out on usage.

Front Shocks: Being accustomed to Bilstien, Rancho, Fox I was familiar with the Progressive set up. After installing the Icons (which are Digressive), I don’t ever plan to go back. To each their own, but I prefer tighter handling on the highway to begin with, allowing the Canyon to not only retain its handling after the height gained from the lift, but actually respond slightly better than stock (at stock height). Turns feel solidly planted, and when used offroad, the bumps smooth out nicely. Officially I am sold and moving all my offroad vehicles over to this type of valveing going forward.

I left them on the setting they came at out of the box ( 2") Installation requires you to cut the slump hangers off the UCA, proving greater downward movement. Upward movement is still stopped by the factory bumpstops. Alignment was off on the toe but using the factory UCAs they were able to get it back within spec.

Add-a-Leafs: For the rear springs, I wanted to keep a slight rake, and was going to opt for blocks (which I had done on other trucks). I looked at SumoSprings and Helper Springs, but finally rested on add a leafs. Originally concerned over the bounciness and height on my setup, I asked AutoSprings to provide a modest lift on the lower side of their range. On install, it tighten up the back like there is a sway bar on it.
Final measurements (on 32.2” tires) puts the front fender at 39 ¼ “ and the rear fender at 39 ¾”. Full flex does not grind fenders, and full turn does not rub. Still testing all the full flex and turns, but very confident there will be no issues.

Body Lift: On top of the suspension lifts, I have installed 1.25 body lift. Where others have mentioned the need for cutting fenders with their Icons / Foxes, this current configuration seems to allow for the additional movement without hitting the fenders. I can only assume the aftermarket UCAs allow for more upward movement, and that additional body lift can prevent rubbing on the range of motion.

Icon Shocks:
https://wheelersoffroad.com/product/icon-vehicle-dynamics-suspension-and-chassis-gm/icon-71010-2015-colorado-canyon-4wd-coilover-shock-kit/
Add-A-Leaf:
Kevin at AutoSpring (208-362-0431) assisted in ordering my Add-a-Leafs.
Body Lift:
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-body-lift-kit-923.html

Some suggestions on the installs:
  • Get several metal Blades for your recipricating saw / Oscillating saw in order to cut the drop bracket. Have self etching black satin spray paint handy.
  • Completely remove the Brake Bracket mounted on the side of the Shock chamber. It give you more room to move around.
  • Have straps and rope handy. You will need to pull the UCA down to the spindle and still have dexterity to put the bolt on. Feels a bit like mouse trap. The Straps prevent the the rotor / assembly from slopping around. I latched it to the UCA in order to prevent strain on the parts.
  • A second jack doesn't hurt. I helps push the LCA up when needed. Holds your beer when its not in use.
  • Take off the plastic skid and sway bar assembly. It takes 5min and gets a part out of your way in that tight space.
  • If your sway is moved out of place on re-install, pull the vehicle off the stands , tighten your lugs, and your end links are probably easier to install.
  • Have enough whiskey on hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150904_181836.jpg (130.6 KB, 1433 views)
File Type: jpg 20150904_181843.jpg (46.6 KB, 1179 views)
File Type: jpg 20150904_175252.jpg (143.5 KB, 1301 views)
File Type: jpg 20150906_192015.jpg (212.9 KB, 1838 views)
File Type: jpg 20150903_191630.jpg (172.7 KB, 1749 views)
File Type: jpg 20150906_184626.jpg (68.1 KB, 1519 views)
File Type: jpg 20150907_125706.jpg (263.1 KB, 4893 views)
gmduran1, Rocket, Beeks and 16 others like this.

Last edited by drewabbs; 09-09-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 10:20 AM

Garage
Looks really good! Looks aggressive, but without looking over-the-top. My wife would still ride in/drive this. And yes, that is the bottom-line!
drewabbs likes this.

2015 GMC Canyon SLE w/All-Terrain, Cardinal Red, Navi, Bose, Max Tow
post #3 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Looks really good! Looks aggressive, but without looking over-the-top. My wife would still ride in/drive this. And yes, that is the bottom-line!
Mine is in a JKU with 37" tires....so the only thing she was concerned about was me getting too close to her Jeeps height. (She warned me she would start looking at 41" tires if I got too close).

post #4 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 PM

Great truck. Well done.
drewabbs likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #5 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

Icon Coilovers: https://wheelersoffroad.com/product/...ver-shock-kit/

Truck turned out great!!

What size tires are those?

Dan
markpetersonii likes this.

Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc.
dan@wheelersoffroad.com
support@wheelersoffroad.com

Last edited by Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc; 09-09-2015 at 05:49 PM.
post #6 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc View Post
Truck turned out great!!
What size tires are those?
Dan
275/70R17 BF Goodrich KO2 (32.2” tall 11” wide)

Thanks again Dan, you guys were a great help.
post #7 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Garage
That looks really good! Nice work.
drewabbs likes this.

2015 Red Z71 4x4 CC Short Box
post #8 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:21 PM

Garage
Looks stout! The Iron Cross HD's look good on there.
drewabbs likes this.
post #9 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELBURNS View Post
Nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Looks stout!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Well done.
Shoulder of Giants. A lot of members threads helped me out. Thought I would pass it forward.
tinasdude likes this.
post #10 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:42 PM

drewabbs what step rails are those?
post #11 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon_636 View Post
drewabbs what step rails are those?
Iron Cross
base587 and camerajunkie like this.
post #12 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:48 PM

Best looking set up thus far. Well done.

I wonder what kind of MPG hit you'll take with all these mods.

2016 Cayon SLT Ext-Cab • 4X4 • V6 • Bronze Allow Metallic
Tuned
Caltrend Dura Plus Seat Covers
Red LED Dome Lights

post #13 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillaFunk View Post
Best looking set up thus far. Well done.

I wonder what kind of MPG hit you'll take with all these mods.
Tires have been on for about 3000miles already, I just came off a 1.75" leveler, Air dam didnt almost make the drive home.

The latest change was .25" higher in the front, and an inch in the rear, so I actually have a little more rake than I did a few weeks ago.

MPG hasn't changed, and I actually hit an all time high for me 3-4 weeks ago. Being that I am higher in elevation than Denver, I never have seen the big numbers even since day one. But as of now I still move around 18.7 - 22.3 on my daily drives.
post #14 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 PM

Tastefully done!

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #15 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:55 PM
DCJ

Garage
Well done! Looks great!! Having the identical tires you do, I must pick up the 1.25 RC body kit. I am thikning it will give me a similar look as you have and at least the possibility that I will not rub anymore. Your truck looks really good and job well done on research. Your post was very imformtive and well explained. Would you suggest I drop the 2 inch RC level or should I just leave it and add the 1.25 RC body to what I currently have?

Enjoying the ride of my life!

Last edited by DCJ; 02-21-2016 at 07:37 PM.
post #16 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Garage
Is the ICON kit the only ones that have Digressive springs? Ive been leaning more towards the KING kit due to the fact that the ZR2 was equipped with it. And they are a bit less expensive. I'm interested in road manners and towing abilities while being able to make a simple adjustment to be able to go off-roading with my buddy who has a raptor.

Duramax all the way
post #17 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdBart View Post
Is the ICON kit the only ones that have Digressive springs? Ive been leaning more towards the KING kit due to the fact that the ZR2 was equipped with it. And they are a bit less expensive. I'm interested in road manners and towing abilities while being able to make a simple adjustment to be able to go off-roading with my buddy who has a raptor.
Let me see if I can help pull some of this apart.
ICON is the only digressive that I have seen. Fox, King, Bilstien, Camburg are all progressive that i know of. I have owned Fox 2.5 with reserves for my Tundra, Bilsteins on the Titan and Jeeps, great handling off road, a little softer than stock on the street. You will have people slamming all of the brands I mentioned but every single one of these will perform greatly. Btw, the Raptors have Foxes in them.

Between the washboard roads and the highway handling, I myself am sold on Icons. To each their own.

The reason Kings fit under the ZR2 is due to the remote reservoirs. And now all will fit since all now have remotes if you so choose to get the additional benefit. Dont choose them due to the concept match your style of responsiveness.

Let me know if you have more questions.
camerajunkie likes this.

Last edited by drewabbs; 09-10-2015 at 09:57 PM.
post #18 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:37 PM

Garage
Thanks! I'm use to lowering cars, mainly Mk2 VW and am a big fan of Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. Tho know very little about lifting. I put a small 2" OME kit on my jeep wj and thats all i know lol. Since I haven't even placed my order yet, I have time to learn and this digressive spring rate thing sounds like its what I want. I'm curious as how it does with some weight in the back.
camerajunkie likes this.

Duramax all the way
post #19 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:46 AM

Have you seen any need for the diff drop now? Also do you think the 275/70/17 is worth going with over the 265/70/17 since it is only a little less than .75 of an inch taller but they weigh a fair bit more per tire if I remember correctly. Also would you mind posting a picture from the rear of the truck?

Last edited by Silverspeeder10; 09-11-2015 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Forgot a question
post #20 of 176 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:56 AM

Did you change the rear shocks to the ICON's? If not, do you plan to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode