Detailed Colorado Bumper Removal w/pics and Fog light install - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Detailed Colorado Bumper Removal w/pics and Fog light install

Alright so I know there are already a couple threads/builds that have explained how to remove the front bumped on 2015+ Colorado.

I thought some would like a detailed step by step with pics.

I removed my bumper to install some aftermarket fog lights, which you don't necessarily have to do but I was also going to paint the grill and some other stuff so made more sense to remove the bumper.
You can also follow this to have access to all the hardware on the air dam. You could then take it off or switch the clips for easy access from below for quick take off/on.

What you will need:
T-15 torx bit (shorter the better)
A ratchet to fit said bit (I used a small 1/4in ratchet)
7mm socket (again 1/4in drive)
10mm socket (1/4 drive or adapter needed)
6+in extension for ratchet
A flat head or something for fog light covers
Something soft to lay the bumper on

It also goes to say, you can follow how I did it or improvise yourself as needed and I am not liable for you messing anything up or breaking anything. Be smart.

I completed this on the ground without lifting the truck or turning the wheels. With a small ratchet and bit it's completely doable but if you can't fit between wheel well and tire you made need to turn wheel or lift front as necessary to access underneath.

Step 1:
Remove the T-15 screws around the top of the grill, there are 6 of them (red circles)

Step 2:
Remove the T-15 screws from the fender liner. I removed all the bottom and up to the 3rd one up where the fender meets the bumper. In total there are 6 T-15 and 1 7mm per side.
T-15 are red circles and arrow towards remaining. The 7mm bolt is just beyond the last T-15 towards the engine, past the liner. Will point out in later pictures. Repeat for other side

Step 3:
Move aside the fender liner to access the 3 7mm bolts under the headlight. It's kind of tight and annoying to reach the last one. A small ratchet and socket are handy for this. Yellow circles are where the bolts are, can see the remaining furthest and tightest in picture. Yellow arrows point to the 2 plastic clips that align the bumper, be careful not to break when taking the bumper off.
Note in green below is the fog light area. You could reach it at this point only following step 2.
Repeat for other side

Step 4:
Remove 2 10mm bolts from center grill. They're hard to spot initially but on the bottom grill near the center there is an angled hole to reach. This is where you will use the ratchet extension.
Yellow arrow and circles points to the holes and can see the extension hanging where to access. Repeat on other side

(yes i removed the cardboard piece that somehow lodged up in there)

Step 5:
Remove 4 T-15 bolts underneath
They're towards the center from where the bumper curves on either side.
Some may have problems getting to on the ground, may need to jack up as needed. Remember to jack safely and use jack stands.
Yellow circle is the T-15, note the red circles are the screws and clips that hold on the air dam

continued in next post.
Kokiri, menginer, seaduck and 1 others like this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Step 6:
Now with all the hardware removed it's time to remove the bumper cover. I did it alone but would be much easier with two people. Be careful of the plastic guides under the head lights.
I pulled the middle area out first to loosen everything and then worked each side. It sort of pulls out and down from the headlights on the outsides. Lay it on something soft after, it will tip over if you try to face the grill up.

Note in the pics below, the blue circles (and one red?oops) are the T-15 along the top, green arrows point to the 3 7mm on each side, yellow circles are the T-15 fender liner screws, light blue (or yellow) arrow points to the 7mm bolt inside wheel well, red circles are two grill 10mm bolts, orange circles are the 4 T-15 underneath and the orange diamond is a grounding bolt if anyone is installing stock fogs or needs to know.

Bumper removed

The 7mm bolts under headlight and the plastic guides (I broke one on other side )
CaryBosse, Kokiri, CHIRADO and 2 others like this.

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread

Last edited by kaiser67; 11-02-2016 at 12:08 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

And now for the fog lights.

Pry out the covers by the plastic tabs around the cover. Denoted in red circles. Red arrows point to the two guide tabs that hinge kind of.
I used a couple flat heads to work them all at the same time and pushed the center out. It may take a little force

Once covers out, pop in the fog lenses, the 3 extended tab things will only line up the right way. Then pop in the bezels like the cover was held. Pretty easy and self explanatory. Sorry didn't get pictures though.

I took this time to plastidip the chrome on the fog light bezels and the chrome grill.

To put the bumper back on, reverse the steps. When aligning the bumper, I put a couple of the top screws back in to hold it into place. Carefully guide the headlight areas back in, should kind of pop into place. One of the center 10mm may hold in place better if you need. Defintiely easier with two people.

End result:

Enjoy :)
Toughsox, Kokiri, lqdchkn and 4 others like this.

My build thread

Last edited by kaiser67; 11-02-2016 at 12:10 PM.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 AM

GREAT DIY post. Thanks for taking the time to detail out this process. Based on multiple threads, removal of this part of the truck is a starting point for many options & upgrades.
kaiser67 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up cover.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
GREAT DIY post. Thanks for taking the time to detail out this process. Based on multiple threads, removal of this part of the truck is a starting point for many options & upgrades.
Thank you and no problem, glad to help.

Yeah like I said, you could get to both the fog light areas and the air **** without removing the whole bumper but for many it might be easier to just take it all off or if you are doing anything else at the time make more sense.

My build thread
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Garage
Great write up! Appreciate all your hard work on this, especially the pictures. It is extremely timely for me as I have my body colored grille arriving Friday and I intend to tackle the task this coming "long" ( ) weekend. One additional question to that end, if I may. Are there any fastener removals necessary to extricate the grille itself from the rest of the front fascia or does it just snap into the rest of the structure? Any and all insight would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

2016 Colorado 4x4 WT Ext Cab Long Bed with:
WT Convenience Package
WT Appearance Package
Trailering Equipment Package
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc847 View Post
Great write up! Appreciate all your hard work on this, especially the pictures. It is extremely timely for me as I have my body colored grille arriving Friday and I intend to tackle the task this coming "long" ( ) weekend. One additional question to that end, if I may. Are there any fastener removals necessary to extricate the grille itself from the rest of the front fascia or does it just snap into the rest of the structure? Any and all insight would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks!

I'm not totally sure, I want to say that the grill part pops out with a bunch of tabs but I'm not sure and didn't look to close at that aspect. You could try searching around here, I know I've heard some other members doing that. I think someone just mentioned it in the "What did you do today" thread

Good luck!

My build thread
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:57 AM

sub'd
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:01 PM

Garage
Nice Job!

Also

Etrailer.com has a video of the same operation
kaiser67 likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:30 PM

Garage
Very nice! The grill looks a lot better in black then chrome.
garymikey1982 and kaiser67 like this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Great write up!
kaiser67 likes this.

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Woodys2718
Nice job!
kaiser67 likes this.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:44 PM
mmg

Garage
Love seeing all the DIY work......good job!
kaiser67 likes this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:27 AM

Garage
Awesome write up! I dont need to add the fog lights, but when I need to remove my bumper this is what I will reference. Nice job!
kaiser67 likes this.

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:26 AM

I'm not planning on removing my bumper but it's great knowing that there is a detailed thread I can use if I do. Thanks so much for all of your time and effort!
kaiser67 likes this.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Fabfours bumper coming soon for me so this will be very useful. I'm sure not exact with my Canyon but a nice place to start.
Toughsox and kaiser67 like this.

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by menginer View Post
Very nice! The grill looks a lot better in black then chrome.
Thank you.
Yeah I'm not a big chrome fan. Blacked out the grill, fog light bezels and badges. Next is the window sill trim.

My build thread
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Thank you.
Yeah I'm not a big chrome fan. Blacked out the grill, fog light bezels and badges. Next is the window sill trim.
How did you go about blacking out the fog light trim? As for window trim I was quoted $400+ for parts and labor. Honestly don't mind a little chrome so I'll be leaving my side mirrors, and window trim as is.

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Senior Administrator

Garage
Thank You for making this Colorado Grille removal How-to.
Your thread is now a sticky!
CaryBosse, lqdchkn and kaiser67 like this.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokiri View Post
How did you go about blacking out the fog light trim? As for window trim I was quoted $400+ for parts and labor. Honestly don't mind a little chrome so I'll be leaving my side mirrors, and window trim as is.
Plastidip everything!
But yeah, I just dipped the grill and fog bezel before I installed the fogs. They're easy to pop off or you can just mask the light and the body and just spray the plastic.
Going to do the same probably on the window trim, maybe wrap that part since it's pretty easy. Either way they won't be coming off, just do it on the truck.

Tip for dipping: clean clean clean before and layers. The more coats of the plastidip, the better it will hold up and easier it will be to take off.
Kokiri likes this.

My build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode